First time working overseas (china) hiring process?

Artsmg

First time working overseas (china) hiring process?

Post by Artsmg »

Hello all,

I signed a contract to work in Shenzhen, China last week.
The principal let me know that HR would be in contact with me in a couple of days.

It's now the next week. I'm not too concerned as I'm sure they have other things to worry about and they also just got back from Chinese New Year last week. However, I'm slightly just anxious because i don't know what to expect as far as timeframe for getting visa etc.

I also have a bit of pressure from my current job in the states to let them know if I'm leaving. I don't want to say for sure until everything is taken care of but I don't know if that's reasonable either.

Any input from those that work in china would be excellent. Thank you!
eion_padraig

Re: First time working overseas (china) hiring process?

Post by eion_padraig »

Congratulations on the job. I think Shenzhen is a decent location as well.

March and April tend to be busy times with schools HR department's working on documents. Make sure you collect all the documents that they need like scanned transcripts, diplomas, credentials, health forms (have the doctor do the best they can, they are a bit poorly translated), passport, photos for visa/residency permits, etc. If you don't provide what they ask for, then it's almost certainly going to be denied and you'll have to reapply.

You'll be sending your passport in with other documents to the embassy/consulate for the region of the country you live in. I'm fairly certain you have to go through a processing company now (at least you have to in the US and I've heard the same about several other countries) rather than being able to go in person even if you live in the same city as a consulate/embassy.

If you don't have any problems the visa gets processed in a week or so. If schools are doing it the right way, you get a single entry Z visa. It looks like I received mine in May of the year I came.

Shortly after you arrive they'll convert that to a residency permit that basically looks a lot like the Z visa. That will generally take a few weeks and you'll need to hand over your passport while they do that. You won't be able to travel during that time, but you'll get a sheet saying he Public Security Bureau has your passport if you need to show it for some official reason.

They are changing the process for visas so some of this may change a bit, but that seems to be much more of an issue for underqualified ESL teachers rather than folks in international schools.

If you're school is legit and they've done this before, it should be fine. What can cause problem? If you come up with a major illness in the health check, if you don't provide the documents they ask for, if you have some previous legal issue in China, if your school is authorized to hire foreigners, or you don't have the minimum experience/qualifications are all things that I've heard of creating issues. If those are not issues for you, I would say you have little to worry about.

Don't be afraid to ask the HR people questions if something is unclear. Usually the majority of the folks working in HR are Chinese and though they can be quite competent (ours certainly have been good in most respects), there can be issues around language that lead to confusion.

Take care.

Eion
mistyknight

Post by mistyknight »

Currently going through this process. Everything said above is correct except - you can walk into the Embassy and do the process yourself. So far I haven't had any issues (many people have). I have debated using a service.

The HR department has been really good. Upon receiving my contract they emailed me immediately with due dates for documents and a document detailing the process for document authentication and obtaining the Visa. And absolutely ask for clarification. As Eion Padraig said there may be language issues that can completely change what your school is attempting to communicate.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The best answer is it depends. Recent changes in Chinese immigration law makes it more difficult and costly for ISs to procure visas, etc. It really has little to do with you, and more about ETs and ESs.

The next step is that the IS will complete an invitation letter for you which is a very pretty document on IS letterhead and a chop (stamp). They will send this letter to you along with either a work permit or foreign experts license. Its become more rare for an IS to obtain the foreign experts license before hand, usually they apply for a work permit, and then apply for a foreign experts license when you arrive. The work permit is just easier and faster.
With those documents you then locate the application online from the country you are applying from. Complete the application and submit the documents along with your passport and photos to the regional consulate and embassy for your location. You do not need to use a service, but the option is to apply in person, as they wont accept mailed applications. The application takes about a week to process, but you can pay for same day or next day service at a higher cost. You may request and pay more for a multiple entry Z visa, but there is no reason too, as once you arrive you will be issued a residency permit which allows you to enter and leave China as often as you want.

Its more common to have the health check done in China now as opposed to overseas, the major issue being HIV and TB, everything else is a formality, you could be in horrible health and pass the health check.
Artsmg

Post by Artsmg »

Thank you for all of the wonderful responses. They contacted me right after this post (lol).

This is all very useful.