Worried about resume, job, to stay or go, and more...

idonteven

Worried about resume, job, to stay or go, and more...

Post by idonteven »

I’m currently enrolled in the Teach Now program as a Middle School Math candidate (have irrelevant BA), currently living in NYC. I’ve done all the Praxis for this except for the PLT. I started the program in August, but had to take several months off for personal reasons. Unfortunately, since the new timetable runs into summer break, I’m not scheduled to finish until the end of October, whereas my initial schedule would have me certified before the beginning of the 2017-18 school year. I really, really don’t want to go through the upcoming school year without a teaching job of some kind.

To make matters worse, I’ve never had a “job”, per se. To be clear I am self-sufficient, I do freelance writing for various sites/content mills, most of which consists of trash SEO articles to be frank. While it (barely) pays the bills, it doesn’t help me with the issue of what to write on my resume, which has me terrified.

I have a tentative placement to do my clinicals at a public charter school here in the city (arranged through TN). I figured that once I had the clinical experience and completed my certification, my lack of resume would be less of a problem (perhaps even getting a job at the school where I did my clinicals). But now that I won’t have either until halfway through the upcoming school year, I have a problem, and am trying to consider all my options.

1, Is there any realistic possibility a could get a job at a DS to start the 17-18 school year given my situation (and anything I can do in the meantime to help that chance)?

2. One thought was to find a hardship IS somewhere in China (or wherever) where I can do my clinicals that will also hire me (and have schools where I don’t have to wait 3 months for summer break to resume and finish the program). Is this a viable option?

3. I don’t really know what the IS market is like for middle school math, but how would it affect things if I could complete the HS math Praxis in the next month or two? That was sort of my eventual plan anyway – to get certified for middle school, do my two years of DS while taking the HS math Praxis at some point, and then applying to ISs as a secondary math teacher. I could focus my effort on expediting that process if it could significantly improve my job prospects for the upcoming year (DS or IS). I assume secondary math is in significantly more demand, but would it even matter if I don't have my license by the beginning of the school year?

Ack. Any advice greatly appreciated! I really want to get a teaching job for ’17-18 :\
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

So by "all the PRAXIS" you mean youve done one out of two (havent done PLT), so youve done half the assessment work?

On your resume your prior work experience is "Freelance Writer", "Consulting Content Writer", "Commercial Author", "Independent Creativity Officer", or some combination of the above, you write material, youre a writer. Add a few bullet points, resume done.

Your lack of a resume is still a problem, the bar to entry in IE is two years post certification experience, having a credential makes you legal, and gets you a look into the room, but recruiters dont get excited about a few months of field work.

1) If your charter has you finishing in October, do they have someone coming in when your done? If they dont and you do a decent enough job they may just appoint you for the rest of the term or year. bringing in a new DT in October is going to be difficult. Talk to your DS, they may not be able to tell you much because they dont want to promise you anything.
Moving to a DS would mostly require moving your field placement, and your not likely to be in a better position. Your still going to be finishing in October, with a more or less possible opportunity to finish out the term or year. The only way this scenario improves is if a different DS will give you a firmer offer/appointment for the remainder of the year.
You could switch to a credentialing scheme that doesnt require an EPP/ITT program such as Utah (UT), or Massachusetts (MA), but in those scenarios your getting an entry level credential with lower marketability, and as far as DE goes, youd have to relocate to those regions to teach under those credentials.

2) You could certainly find a lower tier hardship appointment even now. China and the ME are always hiring for something, though your appointment is going to be closer to EAP as opposed to EP. The longer you wait the more likely your going to find cram ESs. The time to look is actually now, as the second term in China starts in March which is only a few weeks away. There are other options JP and SK start their new year in April which is shortly arriving. Past that the Thai school year begins in May. There are potentially other options as well.
You could potentially find something with your resume of nothing and possibly get a clinical placement. I would advise pursuing the UT APT credential then getting a standard appointment based on that and use the experience/appointment to complete your Field experience. Youve already completed the PRAXIS for the level 2 math ATP 1 credential, all you need to do is apply and complete your CRB. You could have it done in a month. Apply for QTs when that is issued. You can then move your field placement to whatever IS hires you.

3) Its better than middle years social studies/literature or art (and a number of other subjects). It would add considerable utility to your marketability being qualified for upper secondary maths as well. In IE the general expectation is that a secondary IT is qualified and capable of teach all level/grade and subjects within their field. The lessor marketable alternative is in paired subjects in lower secondary, typically maths/science in your case. Adding all secondary maths would be the stronger option. You can only receive a license in UT using the APT route in a single subject, and Teach Now only permits you to pursue a single initial credential.
Thames Pirate

Re: Worried about resume, job, to stay or go, and more...

Post by Thames Pirate »

You can do some searching for jobs that may open up mid-year or January for sure--it isn't infrequent.

Another option is to do some supply work, night school, and adult education work. These can all give a good start. You could also add a subject area and do a second (or even third) practicum, ideally in a local IB school or some sort of unique program (like alternative schools). Definitely use the time to get some higher level maths experience! Worst case scenario, you can do tutoring, after school program mentoring, etc. You could also see about doing your practicum at a summer school or some other unusual option.

Good luck!
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

In my experience, there are often, and in the case of a school I know, every year, a January opening for a Math teacher.
ronaldtheclown81

Post by ronaldtheclown81 »

Something to consider is that being able to pass the Praxis HS Math certification test isn't the same as being able to actually teach upper level math. For example, I passed the test, because I can beat any math multiple choice test. But I have nowhere near the math knowledge to teach IBDP Math SL or HL, or AP Calculus, and that's what most international schools who have openings are going to want you to teach.
sid

Post by sid »

Try schools that are on a southern hemisphere calendar.
And/or look for jobs with January openings due to unexpected changes in staff. There are a decent number of these every year, and I suspect the stats are pretty good for job seekers.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ronaldtheclown81

I dont disagree with your claim, its true however for all PRAXIS assessments.
idonteven

Re: Response

Post by idonteven »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

PsyGuy wrote:
> So by "all the PRAXIS" you mean youve done one out of two (havent
> done PLT), so youve done half the assessment work?

Well, that and the core yeah.

> 1) If your charter has you finishing in October, do they have someone
> coming in when your done? If they dont and you do a decent enough job they
> may just appoint you for the rest of the term or year. bringing in a new DT
> in October is going to be difficult. Talk to your DS, they may not be able
> to tell you much because they dont want to promise you anything.
> Moving to a DS would mostly require moving your field placement, and your
> not likely to be in a better position.

I haven't actually had any contact with the charter school yet, I just told TN where I was located and they gave me the name of a school here that agreed to let me do my field experience there. But I will contact them and try to get a better idea of the situation.

The way you phrase it, it sounds like a charter is not considered a DS? I don't know if it matters, but when I mentioned getting a job at a DS for 17-18 I was including charter schools in that.

> 2) You could certainly find a lower tier hardship appointment even now.
> China and the ME are always hiring for something, though your appointment
> is going to be closer to EAP as opposed to EP. The longer you wait the more
> likely your going to find cram ESs. The time to look is actually now, as
> the second term in China starts in March which is only a few weeks away.
> There are other options JP and SK start their new year in April which is
> shortly arriving. Past that the Thai school year begins in May. There are
> potentially other options as well.

Where is the best place to look for these jobs, TIE? I assume SA/ISS aren't options at this point. Any other resources I should be using?

> You could potentially find something with your resume of nothing and
> possibly get a clinical placement. I would advise pursuing the UT APT
> credential then getting a standard appointment based on that and use the
> experience/appointment to complete your Field experience. Youve already
> completed the PRAXIS for the level 2 math ATP 1 credential, all you need to
> do is apply and complete your CRB. You could have it done in a month.
> Apply for QTs when that is issued. You can then move your field placement
> to whatever IS hires you.

Sorry, I'm fuzzy on some acronyms. CRB = FBI background check/fingerprints, right? I've done that with TN, I assume I can just get those results forwarded to the Utah Dept. of Education and not have to re-do that whole process?

Let me go over this to make sure I'm understanding correctly. With the Utah APT route, I would be getting a [less marketable] UT credential in the interim to make me eligible to get QTS, which would allow me to get an appointment at an IS sooner. From there, I would be able to complete my TN field experience and get a [more marketable] DC credential. Is that correct? What do I have to do to get QTS after I get the UT APT cert?

On UT's APT site it says:

"It allows an individual who has a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited university to pass the appropriate Board-approved content knowledge test to apply for and receive a Level 1 APT License with an Elementary (Grades K-6) or Secondary (Grades 6-12) area of concentration."

1. The middle school math praxis counts as the Board-approved knowledge test I assume?
2. It only mentions K-6 and 6-12 Level 1 APT Licenses, but of course middle school doesn't completely cover either of these ranges. What would my license be considered as there?

And later when they mention the requirement of teaching for 3 years under the supervision of a master teacher...It doesn't matter, because I will be switching to the DC credential anyway?

Thanks a ton, your reply was extremely helpful.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Thames Pirate wrote:

> Another option is to do some supply work, night school, and adult education
> work. These can all give a good start. You could also add a subject area
> and do a second (or even third) practicum, ideally in a local IB school or
> some sort of unique program (like alternative schools).

These are jobs I could realistically get now with my non-resume? What does supply work mean in this context? Is it better to apply through job aggregators like Indeed/Monster, contact schools directly through their website contact info, or something else? Sorry if these are ridiculous questions, I guess my lack of job-hunting experience is showing. I looked up several IB schools in NYC but the websites were 100% for parents/students (no jobs/careers section). As such I assume the contact info they list is only for responding to parent inquiries. Thanks for your reply
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

grdwdgrrrl wrote:
> In my experience, there are often, and in the case of a school I know,
> every year, a January opening for a Math teacher.

sid wrote:
> Try schools that are on a southern hemisphere calendar.
> And/or look for jobs with January openings due to unexpected changes in
> staff. There are a decent number of these every year, and I suspect the
> stats are pretty good for job seekers.

Even if there are January openings, I'm really hoping I can find a placement somewhere by the Fall 17-18 semester if possible. I will look into schools in the southern hemisphere, in addition to China, SK, Thailand.

ronaldtheclown81 wrote:
> Something to consider is that being able to pass the Praxis HS Math
> certification test isn't the same as being able to actually teach upper
> level math. For example, I passed the test, because I can beat any math
> multiple choice test. But I have nowhere near the math knowledge to teach
> IBDP Math SL or HL, or AP Calculus, and that's what most international
> schools who have openings are going to want you to teach.

I agree completely. That's why my initial plan was to ease into the transition to HS math over the course of my first two years teaching. I believe I could safely pass the test with a month or so of cramming (and have a pretty good shot with much less), but that's hardly the standard I want to take over a HS classroom at. But with the pressure of getting a job for the upcoming year mounting, I have to consider all my options.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Supply work is subbing. You would want to contact the district office to find out how to get on their lists. Depending on the state and local laws, you don't need to be a qualified teacher, and in some places you barely need a high school diploma. It's cash, and while not exactly high on the resume building scale, it is better than nothing. What it really does, though, is let you see a TON of different schools and classrooms of all levels. What systems to teachers have in place for classroom setup, management, bathroom and homework policies, etc.? How are various schools run? These give you a lot of ideas and insight into both what you want in a school or classroom of your own and what to ask admin or what red flags might exist. You also get a lot of experience working with a range of ages, subjects, school types, and other demographics. These experiences can prove valuable in both actual teaching and in something to discuss in an interview.

Subbing takes the pressure off the "upcoming job" bit, as does night school, as both give good experiences and offer pay. Also, adding a practicum in a subject (HL maths, for example) may not pay the bills, but it is far more practical in the long run for the resume, etc. I would worry less about a job for fall 2017 as that seems unlikely, and focus on making the most of the months before then to build your resume (again, consider things like summer school for both a practicum and for a paying job). The short term means waiting until January or even the following year to get a job, but in the long run your career will be better for having started off correctly. If you are desperate for a job, you are likely to take garbage that ends up holding you back longer in the big picture.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> Supply work is subbing. You would want to contact the district office to
> find out how to get on their lists. Depending on the state and local laws,
> you don't need to be a qualified teacher, and in some places you barely
> need a high school diploma. It's cash, and while not exactly high on the
> resume building scale, it is better than nothing. What it really does,
> though, is let you see a TON of different schools and classrooms of all
> levels. What systems to teachers have in place for classroom setup,
> management, bathroom and homework policies, etc.? How are various schools
> run? These give you a lot of ideas and insight into both what you want in
> a school or classroom of your own and what to ask admin or what red flags
> might exist. You also get a lot of experience working with a range of
> ages, subjects, school types, and other demographics. These experiences
> can prove valuable in both actual teaching and in something to discuss in
> an interview.

I looked into the process for NYC and I have to find a Principal to nominate me - no idea if that's possible - I'm not from the area so I don't know anyone - but I can try. I assume it has to be a public school principal, but maybe my charter contact knows someone who I could talk to. My other concern is that you can only sub 40 days/year in the same school district here unless you're in a teacher preparation program. Normally I would think Teach Now would qualify, but NY's teacher preparation program site isn't loading for me (http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/cer ... mmend.html) and the blurb on the Google result makes it sound like they might only be programs specific to NY state.

What if I moved to Utah, would I have a decent chance of finding something for the Fall there going through the process PsyGuy described? Or for that matter, just suppose I'm willing to move to any location in the US where I can get a Fall teaching job. I noticed he mentioned MA as another state that doesn't require EPP/ITT but I assume there's a reason he suggested UT over that since MA is obviously much closer. Or does my lack of resume basically make me untouchable for any DS?

>I would
> worry less about a job for fall 2017 as that seems unlikely, and focus on
> making the most of the months before then to build your resume (again,
> consider things like summer school for both a practicum and for a paying
> job). The short term means waiting until January or even the following
> year to get a job, but in the long run your career will be better for
> having started off correctly. If you are desperate for a job, you are
> likely to take garbage that ends up holding you back longer in the big
> picture.

By holding me back, do you mean in the sense of developing bad habits and failing to develop good habits from lack of a good mentor/leadership/etc.? Or do you mean having a third tier school from China on my resume is actually detrimental in itself to my long-term career?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Both to some extent. You might get a third tier school that is actually a good experience in terms of what you learn. You also risk getting tied into a contract that you either break (not good on a resume) or endure without moving forward in terms of your professional life. Furthermore, you risk pigeon-holing yourself. Can it work out? Absolutely. I would say going abroad after licensure is generally better than not doing so. The problem is that you aren't going broad with a range of options, but with desperation, and quite frankly, that rarely works out well. Waiting until January, however, will open up a lot of options. The subbing can tide you over. Or you could speak with the charter school about tacking on a second practicum for HL math--or at least do observations (unpaid most likely). HL maths is a golden ticket in IE.
idonteven

Post by idonteven »

If I were to pick up a job here in January after getting certified, would I be able to swing that half a year as one of my two years of DS experience before seeking an IS position?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@idonteven

Supply teaching is short term contract teaching, usually between a month to a year, in the states it would be a long term substitute. You have your own classroom and its your classroom but its for a relatively short period of time. Your responsible for content delivery, planing and grading. Relief teaching is the traditional short term substitute, anything from a day to a few weeks. Your filling in for another DT/IT while they are out, you are essentially delivering their lesson if anything or basically babysitting.

None of these as @Thames Pirate discussed would be credible towards IE experience, except for maybe well documented supply/long term substitute work, depending on the length and depth of assignment.
A second or third experience isnt going to have any value, no one in IE cares about field experience. I do agree with @Thames Pirate that it beats doing nothing, the issue is when you resort to relief/supply/substitute teaching when something else would have more utility to your resume. At that point youd be better off at least within the aspect of learning being a TA/AT (Assistant Teacher,or Teachers Aid) since youd then get to work with and under a DT. Relief/Substitute DTs generally get there door unlocked and some worksheets and then a sheet for taking attendance. You dont learn much if anything.

You dont need a credential for supply/relief/substitute teaching in most jurisdictions. Some require or have an optional substitute permit but the requirements are very minimal.
For this kind of work you want to contact the district or local DSs and find out what their application process is for getting into their substitute pool.
Id suggest you start with your charter field placement principal if you wish to substitute, if they nominate you then you could be int he entire district pool.
Teach Now qualifies for exception from the 40 day limit.

A number of vacancies do open up mid year, typically ITs that pull a mid year runner or DTs that are retiring.

I strong advise you contact the charter where your field work is going to happen, they likely have a lot of answers that will make some if not all of this moot. Regardless of their response you need to know what you have to work with before making decisions.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. Charters are indeed DSs in your case. However a charter can also be an IS and depending on the location can mean very different things. In the US Charters can mean a dump of a public/regulated DS where the DS is desperate for enrollment and takes anyone they can get. in other regions of the US they are opportunities for students to get a private/independent DS education at public expense.

Most regions have a local job board specific to their region. Much like Daves ESL Cafe most OS DSs dont know how to recruit outside of the ESOL circuit. Regional boards include Gaijinpot in JP and Ajarn in Thai. There are others depending on the region as well. You will also find them on TIE, JOY, Teach Abroad, Teach Horizons, Footprints, Compass, etc.

CRB = Criminal Records Bureau, its the old term for what is now DBS, but has become a generic term for whatever the police clearance is in a given region.
You would assume incorrectly, you can not forward your FBI review to the UT DOE, they ahev their own process and procedure and nothing but that procedure will be acceptable. They will require you to have fingerprints taken again and submit to the CRB clearance.

That is essentially correct, although once you have QTS you could quit or drop the Teach Now program assuming the TCL accepts the UT APT credential.
QTSis nothing more than an online application, that takes 15 minutes and is typically granted within two weeks. You would either need to get a letter of standing from the UT DOE, or give them your CACTUS (online teacher portal) credentials so they could access your profile. There are no other requirements.

UT has a unusual system for maths, they have for endorsement levels for secondary maths. Levels one and two are essentially middle school maths and levels three and four are high schools maths. With the ATP the best you can get is the level three endorsement which allows you teach all maths classes accept AP statistics and AP calculus, and upper honors maths courses, but no one in IE will make the distinction an all secondary maths credential is an all secondary maths credential.
The level 1 and 2 secondary maths endorsements require the middle school maths PRAXIS exam, which you have already taken.
You would receive a level 1 secondary (6-12) maths credential with level 2 maths level endorsement.

Exactly, you will never complete the UT induction program, you will just allow it to expire once you have the DC credential and eventually the NJ Standard credential.

I recommend UT over MA because youd have to take the MA assessments, whereas UT requires and uses the PRAXIS you have already taken. The objective is to get some kind of professional educator credential that you can use to get QTS and/or market to an IS. If you get an IS appointment as long as its an EP program and accredited by or applying for accreditation from someone than you dont need a field experience placement you can use the job you have, and steal to stone a bottom tier IS is going to be vastly better than a NY charter.

Another option for you if its close and convenient would be NJ, you could get a CE which is a lifetime credential by taking a weekend (the 24 hour course) and passing a health exam (as well as PRAXIS). Its more esoteric and work than UT but NJ might be within reasonable commuting distance for you.

UT and several other states are very desperate for DTs, you may find something for 17/18.

Its not in your interest to "ease into" anything you can confidently do. The content difference matters little if you can organize and manage a classroom and are comfortable and confident with the material. If your faking it, your motivated students will figure it out pretty quickly, and the ones that arent wont care as long as they meet their predicted grades and you dont harsh on them. Environment will make a huge difference just what you can get away with. I know maths ITs who arent really strong in calculus who muddle through it just fine. One of them claims to be doing a flipped classroom but all the videos are from Khan Academy and classroom time is for students to individually do work and ask questions, she doesnt really give answers but has students work though the video with them.

In general you can count half of a year (a full term) towards IE experience long as it was the beginning of a contract or fulfillment of a contractual obligation, so if you have 1.5 years of experience with a positive reference you can count that as two years and passed the IE bar to entry, especially if the DS/IS gives you a full year of service credit.