Changing State Certification

dude

Changing State Certification

Post by dude »

Hi folks,

I am certified K-6th in the state of Florida. The renewal requirements are pretty difficult to meet for a teacher living overseas (PD doesn't count for our continued ed. You must be logging some university classes every 5 years). I have heard that it is possible to apply for a New Jersey cert, which does not expire. I read through the NJ state site (http://www.state.nj.us/education/educat ... e/teacher/) but it seems too easy. Am I missing something here? If I switch over to a NJ cert and let my Florida one lapse, will my NJ cert expire? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, for what it's worth, I am not doing this out of sheer laziness. I enjoy growing as a teacher and do a few Pd workshops every year. But to renew my Florida certificate I must take some specific classes that are not at all applicable to teaching at an international school. I would much rather be free to choose what to focus on.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You arent missing anything, its just that easy. Assuming you have a valid professional credential (current) in FL and 2 years current experience you can receive the NJ Standard (advance grade) credential. The NJ credential is a lifetime credential that does not expire and has no PD or renewal requirements.

No, your NJ credential will not lapse once the FL credential expires.

Yes, PD sucks, and theres nothing wrong with being lazy.
joe30

Re: Response

Post by joe30 »

> Yes, PD sucks, and theres nothing wrong with being lazy.

Amen to that.