Applying for British Curriculum

CountingCarbons

Applying for British Curriculum

Post by CountingCarbons »

I teach at a domestic American school now and I still haven't found a job. I'm sure it's because I'm limiting the regions I want to go to, but I don't want to restrict the school or curriculum available. Am I wasting my time applying to a British school? I teach chemistry and GCSE Chem doesn't look all that different from AP Chemistry. Any suggestions?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You arent wasting your time in applying to BSs, depending on your experience and how much time you consider appropriate. BSs tend to require more than the standard resume packet. While they are getting better, many BSs have archaic application forms that are between 6-10 pages, and require they be filled out by hand or require extensive formatting of word templates.
In regards to field , chemistry is in pretty high demand and you will find that AP level is highly congruent to A* levels as well as IGCSE/GCSE. Strong assessment performance in one curriculum is highly portable acorss other curriculums. Also understand that many BSs are little more than exam prep centers with little recognition to what is considered a proper BS. Many of them are essentially local private/independent DSs that have appropriated a UKNC curriculum.

My suggestions:

1) Start by applying for QTS. This is a 15 minute application and depending on your state should take about 10 days to process. You will then receive a QTS credential. QTS is the professional credential for educators in England, has a lifetime validity and no PD requirements. You can start the application here:
https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... ecognition

2) Apply for a Basic DBS report form Disclosure Scotland. This is the only type of CRB in the UK you can apply for directly. As a US DT it will contain little more than identifying information and anythings hared with InterPol or EuroPol.

3) Get your exam score report for the AP College Board. You want the summary/Research course performance (no student identifiers). Site your performance band in your cover letter.

4) Understand that BSs generally require reference checks early in the application process, often at the time of applying.

5) In Spring there will be a massive increase in vacancies posted on TES. This is probably the best source outside of ISS/SA for vacancies and while thousands of them will be in England you can search solely for IE vacancies by country.
shadowjack

Re: Applying for British Curriculum

Post by shadowjack »

Counting Carbons

be aware that many UK NC overseas schools will look at you askance. You are a science teacher, but things work differently in the UK system than the US system. US education tends to do overviews and work through a range of topics - UK curriculum tends to take topics and do them in a narrower focus, to a deeper depth.

As well, at KS 3, 4 and 5, there are decisions made based on teaching assessments that have NOTHING to do with percentages or grades of A, B, etc. It is entirely points based on rubrics and levels from the NC, and that 'predicted grade' is the holy grail that determines things like set groups. As well, woe betide you if you have a student come in with a predicted grade who fails to achieve it.

That said, there are always desperate schools around looking to hire science teachers. You might even hit the jackpot and land at a gem of a school. However, my advice would be, if you are going overseas for the first time, go to BOS for SA fair (too late this year) SF for ISS fair (too late this year), or the UNI Fair in Iowa - might not be too late. Good luck on your search!

I would also apply for QTS - it is dead easy now compared to in the past :-)
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont disagree with @SJ that US delivery is more survey and UK delivery is more focused, but as an AP DT, you are already prepared for that, the depth of AP is the same as A* and I/GCSE (though at different levels).
I also further agree that predicted grades are the gold standard, but all this means is that DTs are expected to meet students needs within their ZPD, its nothing you cant and havent done before, and while administratively there is far more stress focused on a fairly rigid outcome that will take some getting use to, those are all paradigm issues that you can adapt to, its not something you cant do, and its not going to require rewiring your mind to assimilate to it.

Again, there are many BSs that are only superficially a BS and only at specific year levels, and many of these ISs are far less intense than youd see in a UK DS.

Its too late to register for UNI it started on the third of February.