Fresh certification, but no experience....help!!!

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No, its not most places, in the UK you need induction to get full QTS. Provisional and full registration schemes are common in many regions.

It made sense for you and your circumstances, its not true that IE directly is preferable in most cases.
Thames Pirate

Re: Fresh certification, but no experience....help!!!

Post by Thames Pirate »

The OP is licensed in the US, not the UK. The UK provision is irrelevant.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

The OP is from AUS. Your prior statement claimed "it generally makes more sense to go abroad in terms of career moves", and generally your statement isnt true, and the UK is included in "generally".
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Yeah, my experience is in AUS, just thought I would post it here for the benefit of any AUS teachers.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I know OzGrad is from Australia. The OP is from the US. It says so right there in the first post.
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

I'd like to push back just a little bit on the idea that new teachers do not primarily work in Title 1 schools, or at least mention that new teachers typically get the worst prospects in terms of schools, classes, schedules and students in DSs. An anecdote - I graduated from a fairly reputable local university in the US a few years ago. My class had about 60 graduates overall that year. The vast majority of us that got jobs got them in low SES areas, minority majority schools, and failing schools.

While it wasn't unheard of to get jobs at a better school right out of university, that luxury was normally for Math/Science folks. Everyone else either had a tough time getting employed in the first place, or they had to get a job at a pretty rough place. Even if it wasn't technically a Title 1 school we're talking 70-100% free and reduced lunch. These types of places chew up and spit out new teachers, and I believe significantly contribute to the high teacher burn out rate. So in the end, Title 1 was just splitting hairs because the places we found work were similarly challenging.

In my area, teachers with experience abandon these places as soon as they can because it's incredibly difficult to be successful under these conditions. And if you are applying to one of the better schools you are going up against teachers with 5, 10, 15 years of experience.

Psyguy is right that if you can get a good DS you are golden and you should do your time there, but it's often a crapshoot as to who gets those jobs. And if you aren't part of the few that does, I think IE is a better idea. That being said, having done some time at a DS like I'm mentioning can make you an excellent teacher if you can thrive in that environment, but it could also break you if you if you can't handle it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

The LW (Letter Writer) is from the US. The OP is from AUS. The LW is the member that creates the topic. As the discussion evolves divergent threads form with new inquires and tangential discussions, the creators of those tangents and new inquires are the OPs.

@sdakota

I dont disagree with your experience, but the poo hole of DE while it is certainly the norm for young DTs, I would disagree that its random or luck on who gets the better opportunities, its usually someone who got a preferred field experience placement and did a good job or the DT has a network or relationship they can leverage into those DSs.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

OP=original poster on every other forum I have been on. You do have a tendency to make up acronyms, but we will chalk this one up to a terminology difference.

My point is that the LW or OP or whatever is American. Therefore two years in the US are not required.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> OP=original poster on every other forum I have been on. You do have a
> tendency to make up acronyms, but we will chalk this one up to a
> terminology difference.
>
> My point is that the LW or OP or whatever is American. Therefore two years
> in the US are not required.
==================
He really has been consumed with his own ego and is trying to create his own language. LW is never going to happen!

OP = original poster for virtually everyone, except in PG land (and access to this fabled realm is currently blocked by his ever inflating head being firmly planted there).
joe30

Post by joe30 »

@PsyGuy

2 years in the UK isn't some magic bullet to make it to the elite tier. I'm skeptical that it has any additional value over 2 years in a random third tier IS to begin with, but even if so it's not like you're breaking into Bangkok Patana just because you did 2 years in a DS (it's possible, but would require the IT to have better luck than the average).

I'd go for the guarantee of double the money NOW, over some vague 'well you might get into a better paying school in 2 years time'. That's to say nothing of how life in the UK compares to elsewhere, which IMO is extremely unfavourably.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

I am aware that OP means "Original Poster"

@WT123

I have used the term LW (Letter Writer) since at least JAN-2015

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... f=1&t=4832

Please see the above explanation for use, but with such broadly evolving discussions and revived topics a distinction needed to be made between the original creator of the topic (as it appears and is titled and credited in the forum index), and the creator of the most recent topic or inquiry within the discussion. Otherwise a system of OP, OOP, OOOP, etc. or similar would be necessitated.

There is nothing to happen, it already happened more than 2 years ago.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Thames Pirate
>
> I am aware that OP means "Original Poster"
>
> @WT123
>
> I have used the term LW (Letter Writer) since at least JAN-2015
>
> http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... f=1&t=4832
>
> Please see the above explanation for use, but with such broadly evolving discussions
> and revived topics a distinction needed to be made between the original creator
> of the topic (as it appears and is titled and credited in the forum index), and
> the creator of the most recent topic or inquiry within the discussion. Otherwise
> a system of OP, OOP, OOOP, etc. or similar would be necessitated.
>
> There is nothing to happen, it already happened more than 2 years ago.
===========================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0

In other words, you tried to make something happen in a 3 post thread that you apparently killed off two years ago. Not the same thing, Gretchen but I'm certainly not going to waste another second arguing about it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Ive used it at least 254 times since JAN-2015.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Yet it hasn't caught on . . . . don't expect the rest of us to bow to your terminology. Just because you use it doesn't mean we all do.

For example, no matter how often you call it DIP, the rest of us will still call it DP (Diploma Program).

OP is original poster on every forum I have ever known. The urban dictionary defines it as such. You won't change that. Use whatever term you want, but when you respond to the rest of us using normal terminology, don't be surprised if we correct you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Ive been using the designation for 2 years in over 250 posts its lack of assimilation or adoption has not deterred my use of the terminology. I adopt various conventions to 1) Better organize my posts for myself 2) Better present to our readership.
I dont expect, the membership to "bow", adapt, demand, require specific terminology that I implement.

Before the diploma program was DP it was originally referenced in short form as DIP, and it was an internal IBO (back when the IB was the IBO) appreciation, DP had another connotation that wasnt appropriate. However no matter how much you and the rest of the contributors use DP Im not going to change.

Have you experienced all known forums? The urban dictionary isnt a real dictionary, but I dont disagree with you it means original poster, we dont disagree. Ive introduced additional nomenclature to better organize my posts.

Ill either define my use of terms when that happens (which ive done in the past) or ill ignore and reject your correction. @Thames Pirate no more defines, regulates or dictates forum conventions or terminology any more than I or anyone else does. It hasnt been an issue or problem for me in the past two years, I dont see that changing.