Fresh certification, but no experience....help!!!

Thames Pirate

Re: Fresh certification, but no experience....help!!!

Post by Thames Pirate »

Or respond foolishly, but hey, that's your choice.

You do not add clarity to anyone but yourself when you use invented terminology, and you create confusion when you respond as if the rest of us had adopted your weirdness.

But whatever. The point is that the OP is from the US.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Foolish is not one of my response schemes.

I adopt various conventions to 1) Better organize my posts for myself 2) Better present to our readership. ll either define my use of terms when that happens (which ive done in the past) or ill ignore and reject your correction.

We disagree, the LW is from the US, the OP is from AUS.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

So basically, we've established that NQT's generally get the crap schools, whether at home or abroad. That makes sense.

So...given it's accepted the school is probably going to suck anyway, why would a rational agent not choose the one with the better pay and the more desirable location? And yes, 'more desirable' is a subjective measure, but if you're reading this board chances are there's something about your home country that you don't like.

I've not been convinced at all as to why I should give up double the pay and a nicer location for the 'joys' of working a 60 hour week teaching in the UK.

Why exactly does 2 years in a crap DS look better on your CV than 2 years at a crap IS anyway? I'm not convinced it even matters at all. At least with an IS you tick the 'working abroad' box.

Finally, it's not like having 2 years post-qualification experience ANYWHERE is going to make the tier 1 schools in nice regions all that interested. The teacher who works for 2 years in their home country probably isn't getting a job at ISB their first time on the circuit. They might get a second tier school but the guy who jumps ship to an IS immediately also has the chance of that in his next contract.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I agree with Joe--2 years at a DS, crap or not, is no different from 2 years at a crap IS. Once you are certified, it makes little difference. The only exception would be if you are somehow able to teach something that will help you out further down the road--IB or some other curriculum or subject experience. One school is as good as another unless they have a good reputation. You may as well go somewhere that is more suitable in terms of pay or location or resume building.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> I agree with Joe--2 years at a DS, crap or not, is no different from 2 years at a
> crap IS. Once you are certified, it makes little difference. The only exception
> would be if you are somehow able to teach something that will help you out further
> down the road--IB or some other curriculum or subject experience. One school is
> as good as another unless they have a good reputation. You may as well go somewhere
> that is more suitable in terms of pay or location or resume building.
================
I would tend to disagree to a certain extent, although I certainly don't think it's a deal breaker or a slam dunk for the stay at home arguement. Yes, a a generic domestic school is likely to have no reputation at all among the int'l set but that will generally be a good or neutral thing and the experience will likely be viewed in a good or neutral light. It will also carry a presumption (in many minds) that there was a certain amount of mentoring and/or at least learning on the job in a standard, professional school environment.

Many lower tier int'l schools do have quite a bad/poor reputation and I would think that at least some admin types might look down a bit on a candidate whose sole experience is two years at a school (and/or for a head) known to be unprofessional, chaotic, very little actual learning going on, will hire anyone with a pulse, etc. I am sure there are exceptions to this and in some admin minds perhaps two years of surviving overseas will put the teacher who left home ahead of the one who stayed.

So, I guess I am saying that staying could pay off somewhat better in helping to develop teaching skills and possibly with future recruitment but I certainly would not say it's never a good idea to leave straight away. If you can find a decent (or at least not too horrible) job with zero experience and/or the lure of getting out there is too strong to stay put, you can certainly make it work for you in the long run.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

One final point I'd like to make, is sacrificing the now for the future often leads to simply rolling forward your goals an extra few years, and never being truly happy.

I've mentioned this across the internet, but delayed gratification is a very bad western ideal. It goes like this: you don't like school, but are told you need to grind out those good grades to go to a good uni. Then you've got no money at uni, course deadlines etc, and are told you need to get over this stage to land a good job. Then you get the good job, but of course you're bottom of the ladder, but are told by society you need to 'pay your dues', and it'll be fine once you get a promotion or two. Then you get the promotions, and sure you have a bit more money, but you've also now got a lot more stress and work hours. But then society says 'well you made it this far, just imagine how great it'll be when you can finally retire after years of paying into your huge pension'. The end result? Many people with this mindset go through their whole lives not being happy, and only really start enjoying life once their best years are behind them.

You can see this in the posts of those who advocate the 'be miserable and stay at home' school of thought - that one day it 'might' lead to something better.

My view is you should always prioritise today over tommorow unless the payoff is truly massive (and 2 years in a DS over an IS, sorry, but the average payoff is small, maybe even nonexistant). By doing this, you're always ensuring you're happy and fulfilled as you're going through life. If nothing else, that 'tommorow' you're dreaming of might never arrive.

That's why I'd take a $30,000 job in Thailand over a $50,000+accom one in the ME. That's why I never ever work long hours in a job (got fired for this one once, don't care at all). That's why I think you should always take that nice vacation during the summer term over stuffing more money into your bank account. That's why I'd never go to some African country just to get 'IB experience'.

I'm telling you this because I was once a guy who always thought about the next 'goal' rather than the here and now. All it leads to is a miserable life. Yes, there's times that one has to grind something out for a big payoff down the road - like I'm doing for my PGCE now - but those times are a lot less frequent than many believe. 95% of the time your choice should be based on what makes you happy today - things have a habit of falling into place in the end if you're happy in what you're doing.
HighHo

Post by HighHo »

Thanks for all the different perspectives guys!

I am DEFINITELY not returning to the U.S.A. to teach, in fact, I never plan on teaching there in my entire career. If someday I decide to return home, I will take up a different field. It's good to see that my thinking was correct in that it doesn't matter where I receive my initial 2 years of experience (IS vs. DS).

I see some people were bringing up salaries, but that doesn't really concern my interests. I just want to make ends meet. Adding to my savings is great, but it's not a priority. There are many factors to consider, but generally speaking, I'd like to make 1500 USD a month (though i'd certainly accept more) somewhere in Latin America. One thing I've noticed about Latin American IS's is that they tend to hire locals for their PE positions. Only the top schools seem to hire foreigners for PE, and at this stage I am no where near competitive for those. So China seems to be where I will find my first contract, but who knows what will happen.

Some of you mentioned bad/rough schools. When you say this, are you referring to bad administration or low socioeconomic students? I actually prefer working with students that come from poor backgrounds, as that is where I come from, and I believe with my subject (PE), I could really influence them more than most other subject teachers (science/math/english/history). Ive worked with challenging kids before, and they've never broken my spirit. I welcome challenging classrooms. My professor once told me, "We grow as educators when we step outside of our comfort zones."

Another idea I just thought of is maybe I could approach Tier 2 schools and ask for conditional employment. I would sell myself by acknowledging my lack of experience, but also my willingness to learn from their current PE teacher. In this instance, I would agree to be mentored by the current PE teacher for a couple of months (for free), and take over the position when they leave. I'm considering this option as a last resort as no one wants to work for free haha
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Joe30

If by a UK NQT that statement is more true, there are NQTs however who get better DSs.

Why a DS over an IS:
1) Its not a forgone conclusion that its worse coin. The claim is accurate in the UK, but in the US you can get better coin in DS than you will find on average in IE.
2) A DS is in a better position to provide resources and mentoring to an IT who is still making their bones. Sure you might get a bad mentor, but its still a whole DS, your assigned mentor might be horrible but there might very well be someone who can provide you with guidance. No ones going to hold your hand in IE.
3) DSs are more forgiving in terms of mistakes and growing a DT.
4) In the case of the UK you get to compete induction which is going to directly increase your marketability to higher tier BSs.
5) Retirement, in the US you could be vested in your retirement/pension in as few as 5 years.

@Thames Pirate

this assumes a crap DS and a crap IS. Status is a contributing factor. There are some scenarios where IE is better to start with, specifically when the labor market in DE is saturated in your field, and youd wait years to get an appointment if ever in DE.

@WT123

I generally concur

@HighHo

You may not be interested in coin at this point but as you grow older your financial motivations and objectives increase.

There are very few SEC disadvantaged ISs in IE, for their economy they are a luxury and fee generating ISs. You dont get poor students, most of them are affluent for their location.
When we refer to rough or poor ISs we generally mean poorly managed or more accuratly non-western managed ISs.

Professors are well known for off the cuff idioms, they sound nice but if you really want to make a difference, join the peace corp, or look into one of the volunteer types of opportunities. In IE your essentially working for affluent parents who want their children to study at Uni in the west, and its just a grind. The things that annoy ITs arent the students struggling with challenges to succeed, its the students who can have more walking a round money than ITs who think they can copy/paste from Wikipedia and then get their parents to change their grade. Its the parents and students who are essentially buying their way to academic success.

That idea wont work, not at a tier 2 IS. Theres no such thing as conditional employment. Either your employed or you arent. If you arent you need a visa so what does the IS get for you a student visa would be about it, and youd need a Uni in the region to sponsor it. Lower tier ISs may readily take your offer to volunteer on a tourist or business visa. I could discuss it in greater detail, but essentially their are some top tier ISs that hire intern class ITs, but outside of one of those your just begging to be taken advantage by some bottom tier IS.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

The flip side to 'no one holding your hand' is that in many third tier schools standards and non-existant, and providing you turn up on time every day you'll always have a job even if no learning is taking place.

You might need more 'hand holding' in a DS because DS's actually expect a lot. Whereas no one needs mentoring and guidance to give a 15 minute lecture at the front then hand out some worksheets (i.e. what passes for acceptable in many third tier IS's).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Joe30

None of that is not untrue, but if you ever want to move up from the bottom third tier your going to have to do more than an ET who teaches from a textbook and uses worksheets. Though you could stay in the lower third tier doing just that for your IE career.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

@PsyGuy

Essentially, your reasoning can be boiled down to the belief that teaching in a DS in your initial years post-qualification makes you a better teacher, and that better teachers will earn more money by moving up the tiers.

The first of those points might well be true, but it's only a valid point if an IT actually cares about being a good teacher. If you're in the game to live abroad on a much bigger salary than the locals, the quality of your practice is unlikely to be a great concern, providing you're doing enough to avoid getting fired.

Regarding the idea that better teachers will move up the tiers, I'm not so sure. There's plenty of incompetent or mediocre people in all areas of life who can talk the talk in a 30 minute interview. And once you're in, you're probably good for at least a 2 year contract unless you majorly screw up.

Finally, many third tier IS's offer very good salaries for the region. There's a job advert on ajarn right now offering 90,000 baht a month to work at an Assumption EP. No, it's not ISB levels, or even second tier levels, but it's at least twice what an ET makes after taxes (and 6x the average local salary). You could live a very comfortable life on that sort of money with no expectations beyond turning up in a clean shirt every day.
HighHo

Post by HighHo »

joe30 wrote:
> One final point I'd like to make, is sacrificing the now for the future
> often leads to simply rolling forward your goals an extra few years, and
> never being truly happy.
>
> I've mentioned this across the internet, but delayed gratification is a
> very bad western ideal. It goes like this: you don't like school, but are
> told you need to grind out those good grades to go to a good uni. Then
> you've got no money at uni, course deadlines etc, and are told you need to
> get over this stage to land a good job. Then you get the good job, but of
> course you're bottom of the ladder, but are told by society you need to
> 'pay your dues', and it'll be fine once you get a promotion or two. Then
> you get the promotions, and sure you have a bit more money, but you've also
> now got a lot more stress and work hours. But then society says 'well you
> made it this far, just imagine how great it'll be when you can finally
> retire after years of paying into your huge pension'. The end result? Many
> people with this mindset go through their whole lives not being happy, and
> only really start enjoying life once their best years are behind them.

I 100% agree with you. Reminds me of a video by Alan Watts where he explains how to find happiness in life.

It seems that for one to "make it" in IT, you must get in line and follow the herd (pay your dues). This seems like the golden ticket to landing a top job: 2 years experience in the U.S.A., 2 years experience at tier 1/2 school, no wife or kids, a master's degree in education, and look the part (modern haircut, no tattoos, no disabilities, white). I'd rather be happy now and walk my own path.
HighHo

Re: Reply

Post by HighHo »

PsyGuy wrote:

> @HighHo

>
> Professors are well known for off the cuff idioms, they sound nice but if
> you really want to make a difference, join the peace corp, or look into one
> of the volunteer types of opportunities. In IE your essentially working for
> affluent parents who want their children to study at Uni in the west, and
> its just a grind. The things that annoy ITs arent the students struggling
> with challenges to succeed, its the students who can have more walking a
> round money than ITs who think they can copy/paste from Wikipedia and then
> get their parents to change their grade. Its the parents and students who
> are essentially buying their way to academic success.

@psyguy
I do want to make a difference and I actually considered the peace corps. They are not able to guarantee me a placement in Latin American and a position as a PE teacher, so I'm not interested. I expect the students at IS's to be high up on the socioeconomic chain, but I hope it is not like you say. If students are expecting to buy grades, that kind of enviornment must be terrible to work in. It might be part and parcel of the job. I will find out soon enough once I land my first contract.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

If you don't care about being a good teacher, not only are you wasting your own time, you are wasting the students time and getting in the way of a real teacher who cares about educating children.

No doubt you will have a ready-fire excuse at hand. You are only fooling yourself and possibly some lower tier admin for a short period of time.

Whatever excuse you choose to delude yourself with, the real losers are the students and their parents. When one of these parents finds out your attitude towards their child's education, which they are paying for, you will get your just desserts.

In the meantime, make all the excuses you like, you are not deceiving anyone, including yourself.

OG
joe30

Post by joe30 »

I don't need to make any excuses. I'm quite happy to say that I don't care about the job, I only work for the money to sustain a desired lifestyle outside my home country. No excuses needed, most people only do their jobs for the cash after all.

No, I wouldn't tell that to an admin, but even if you're interviewing for a burger flipping job at Mcds you don't tell the manager that you're only there for the cash - it's basic interview technique.