Africa with small kids

mamava

Re: Reply

Post by mamava »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @mamava
>
> You arent the gate keeper of whose experiences are worthy of posting.

You are absolutely correct. My opinion remains the same--if you have actual on-the-ground experience of living in a country in Africa, post away--positive and negative. If you haven't, consider taking a pass on this particular post.
mamava

Re: Africa with small kids

Post by mamava »

chilagringa wrote:
> See, zenteach gave an opposing opinion that was actually useful!
>
> Personally, as a current non-breeder I would live in Africa in a heartbeat.
> But zenteach gave some of the reasons I would be wary about SOME locations
> (not all, of course, being a continent with many countries) for very small
> children. Personally, I would probably wait until after 8 or 10 to bring my
> hypothetical children to most locations. Malaria is a bitch but ESPECIALLY
> for tiny kids.
>
> In a few locations, especially malaria-free ones, I would probably bring my
> (hypothetical) kids after, say, 5.

My point exactly...Zenteach has personal experience and a conclusion about what he/she and family would do. I may disagree or not, but that evaluation is valid because of the actual experiences that poster has. Whether I agree or not, I can factor thta information into a decision that I might need to make. Much better than opinions of people who haven't lived there.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

@mamava

Why do I have to have lived there before I get to express an opinion on the region? Again, you do not get to decide what is acceptable to post.

If someone came to this forum and said they'd got a job in North Korea teaching Kim Jong Un's children, could no one express any concerns over that posting unless they'd been to NK? What about someone who said they were planning to go to an ISIS controlled area of Syria for work? No one can comment unless they've been there? Total nonsense. Contributers can feel free to give their opinion about a region despite never living there.

I'd never live in Africa. There's good reasons for this.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Well if you're not too fond of free speech I could imagine Africa could just be your cup of tea.
snowphantom

Post by snowphantom »

Africa is a big place.

Morrocco, South Africa, Mauritius, Namibia, and Botswana are all great, safe places to live that I would recommend with kids.