Cambridge Fair Updates

b12r

Cambridge Fair Updates

Post by b12r »

Figured it would be a convenient place to throw out thoughts done here regarding the fair.

I have been doing some finalized fair prep this week. I fly out early Thursday and should arrive in BOS around noon. Hopefulyl see a few of you all there!
Thames Pirate

Re: Cambridge Fair Updates

Post by Thames Pirate »

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

My current advise so far for this year at BOS is start early and hit the ground running. If your milling around with the sheeple your behind the race. You want hard interview invitations and time slots before sign up. This year there are going to be interviews the morning of and during signup. Theres going to be a first night morning closure of vacancies and a post lunch closure of vacancies. You want to be making moves the night before and morning of.
b12r

Post by b12r »

Thanks guys! Trying my best to snag a few interviews prior to or early Friday when slots open up. First timer as far as fairs go so I am looking forward to it, even though most say it is a "bad experience".

I am really going in without any expectations and if something happens great. if not, I will continue my email barrage to schools! haha
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@b12r

Its not bad, its just not for the meek and ill prepared. If you dont interview well, if you arent comfortable selling yourself, if you arent assertive, if you arent really really likeable, you generally have a frustrating experience.
b12r

Post by b12r »

Any updates from others here?

I have received a few offers so far to interview all at some great schools. Busy day of interviewing ahead.

I plan on typing up a "fair diary" and post once I get home Sunday evening.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Good luck in the interviews!
b12r

Post by b12r »

Thanks Thames!
helloiswill

Post by helloiswill »

I look forward to reading it. Almost feel like I'm missing out on the fair even though I accepted a good offer last month!
joe30

Post by joe30 »

You're not 'missing out' on anything lol.
senator

Post by senator »

I agree with Joe.

One of the main reasons I got out of IE was that as I got older, I just started to despise having to "play the game" with administrators. many of whom had years less experience than I had.

I once had to listen to this cute, empty-headed little muffin who was a first year assistant principal at a school in the ME and who had NEVER worked out of the U.S before as she questioned me on how I would handle the stresses of working overseas!

At my last fair I finally said Screw this, and just ignored my mailbox, put my suit in the closet. and spent the 3 days seeing friends.

Job fairs are archaic and unnecessary now and are held solely to make money for Search, Iss, etc. and to give school heads and admin a paid vacation and, when in Bangkok, a yearly chance to get their bells rung.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

senator wrote:

> One of the main reasons I got out of IE was that as I got older, I just started to
> despise having to "play the game" with administrators.

How do you find this compares to schools at home? Is it not the same?

> Job fairs are archaic and unnecessary now and are held solely to make money for Search,
> Iss, etc. and to give school heads and admin a paid vacation and, when in Bangkok,
> a yearly chance to get their bells rung.

Personally I think that recruiting face to face is a good thing. I'm not sure how much of a real feel you get for a person on Skype.
b12r

Post by b12r »

I can see your point, especially being a veteran. You feel like your resume/CV speaks for itself.

I can say that my in person interviews have went leaps and bounds better than the Skype interviews prior to the fair. Nothing better than an in person connection.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

senator wrote:
> I agree with Joe.
>
> One of the main reasons I got out of IE was that as I got older, I just
> started to despise having to "play the game" with administrators.
> many of whom had years less experience than I had.
>
> I once had to listen to this cute, empty-headed little muffin who was a
> first year assistant principal at a school in the ME and who had NEVER
> worked out of the U.S before as she questioned me on how I would handle the
> stresses of working overseas!
>
> At my last fair I finally said Screw this, and just ignored my mailbox, put
> my suit in the closet. and spent the 3 days seeing friends.
>
> Job fairs are archaic and unnecessary now and are held solely to make money
> for Search, Iss, etc. and to give school heads and admin a paid vacation
> and, when in Bangkok, a yearly chance to get their bells rung.

I agree with Senator's points that fairs are a money-making thing for the recruiting agencies and the most administrators love the perk of these trips (a little too much in my opinion). On the other hand, I do prefer face-to-face interviews in general and seem to do better with them compared to Skype. For whatever reason, I present better in person.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I do better and prefer F2F interviews, it also benefits me more in getting to read the recruiter.
Fairs have always been a revenue stream, thats why SA has so many of them. My issue is that there are two different groups of recruiters that attend fairs. On one side are the recruiters and HOSs that dont need to attend they are upper tier ISs they have one or two vacancies and plenty of qualified applicants. For them the fair is a conference and a trip they get to take on the ISs coin, an opportunity for a mini holiday with their rat pack, away from the spouses prying eye. The other group or recruiters capitalize on the stresses and anxieties of entry level IT candidates who wouldnt have the attention they would get outside of the confinements of the fair.