What do you do during the summers?

nathan61

What do you do during the summers?

Post by nathan61 »

Just wondering what people do for the summers? Do you own a place that you leave empty the rest of the year? I have thought about doing this, but it doesn't make economic sense to own a house and leave it empty most of the year. I do know a few people who do this though.
joe30

Re: What do you do during the summers?

Post by joe30 »

Sit on a beach drinking beer in SEA. Just rent a room for like $15 a night for all of summer.
Teach1010

Post by Teach1010 »

I'm curious about this too. My thought was to try to buy a place in or near a college town that I could rent (furnished) to students during the academic year and then live in it myself during the summer and maybe even winter break if it's possible to write that into the lease. I don't know much about being a landlord and obviously there is a big potential for headaches, but it sounds like a good plan to me in theory. Has anyone else tried doing something like that?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Travel! Visit friends, see new things, have adventures, sit on a beach, go to festivals, go hiking or biking, watch a sunset with a beer, read a book, spend time with husband . . . .
mamava

Post by mamava »

We had a house for a long time that we had rented out and did the travel all summer thing for many years...it was hell on our kids. We slid the hose and bought a townhouse that is more secure, cheaper, and easier to leave empty.. Our kids love the feeling of a home base. As they have gotten older and are heading into and out of college, they like knowing there is a home for them. It does mean we will spend more time there but that's an ok shift for us, too.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I have a shorter summer now, but I essentially work during the summer though I get to travel while doing it.

@Teach1010

I wouldnt aim for a college or Uni town, it will be a never ending headache, and even a high deposit isnt likely to cover the cleaning and repair costs when your tenants vacate.
You can however often write whatever lease you want, including short term (semester only) lease periods. The problem of course happens when one of the tenants doesnt have a place to go, and that forces you to evict which takes at least a month and will blow your holiday. Uni students millennials can be VERY self centered.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

We just travel. Some summers we stay local and do shorter trips in the area because we love where we live/teach. We don't really want to go to the same place every summer so if we had a house we would only see it every other or even every 3rd year.

Some people do find it worthwhile to have a house that stays empty (and even a car waiting for them) but it would really have to be some place that you plan on visiting for an extended length of time every year to be really worth while (IMHO).
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

@mamava

With kids I agree it that it is ideal to have a home base. Children might have fond memories of the home base, but all those summer vacations traveling around would just blur together.

I know several people who keep a home in the South of France, and that would be great for those who don't mind cutting ties with their home country.

I'm in the situation of splitting my time between Washington DC and San Francisco to see both my family and the in-laws. These areas are so expensive right now that it would be crazy to keep a place just for the summers.