Online portfolios

zenteach

Online portfolios

Post by zenteach »

Is it worth doing the online portfolio/website in order to show schools your curriculum development, etc?

How much time do HOS and principals have to flip through your online portfolio? My guess is not much time, and that is my hesitation in making one. However, I also can see it as what gets you the interview if done well.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well if a recruiter or leadership asks you for a portfolio and you dont have one, youll probably be kicking yourself that you dont. The general position (not consensus) of the major contributors is that many ITs could go there entire career and never get asked for or have any use for a portfolio, but then there is that minority that does get asked for one. Whats the value of that portfolio, some recruiters ask for it just to see what you got and how you constructed it, they dont watch the whole teaching demonstration only a small part of it, if them.
The other factor is that certain subjects lend themselves more to a portfolio than others. Maths is pretty hard to have more than the document links, a teaching demo and interview, beyond that there isnt much more to include. On the other side of the continuum you have fine and performing arts where an art teacher would benefit from a virtual gallery of pieces and a music or theater IT would strongly benefit by having video of a recital or production. Those are elements you can actively use in the interview process. Then in the middle of you have subjects like science where an entertaining demonstration or science fair video or the like for other subjects can be interesting elements. A literature IT whose publish having a link to the book (or exert), maybe a sample of the IS Paper/Magazine. A PSPE/PHE IT who has a competition or practice video with some demonstrations might be applicable. Social Studies/Humanities doesnt have much unless they home something like model UN or they performed some type of historical production.

I advocate a portfolio, even if its never used its good practice to have those elements available, a living CV if you will. It also shows your technology savvy to a certain point.
What do you mean curriculum development? If its just going to be a white paper/thesis or binder material, no ones really going to look at it, except maybe to see that you have one. If youve done something truly noteworthy or paradigm shifting (think Harry Wong), then the value of a portfolio increases because you can push it.
zenteach

Re: Online portfolios

Post by zenteach »

Thank you for your thoughts PsyGuy. I used "curriculum development" as an umbrella term to include videos of classroom space/teaching clips, artifacts of learning, interviews, service trips, STEM fairs etc. I will probably carve out time one weekend soon to get working on one.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@zenteach

Are any of those activities you mentioned awesome, and not awesome to you but awesome to other DTs/ITs, and other DTs/ITs who arent in your close social circle?
The reason is if its a lot of average or routine types of demonstrations, its going to be a fast yawn, and snooze-fest. Your better staging one or two really good examples. Do a model workshop and an exemplar model lesson segment. Add to that a document repository, and a virtual interview, then maybe the STEM fair organized in a photo book format. Those 5 elements are going to be a more than adequate portfolio.
zenteach

Post by zenteach »

Thank you for stressing that the items need to be "awesome." Yes, I will keep it exciting. No snooze-fests over here. Quality over quantity will be the mantra.
Art Teacher

Post by Art Teacher »

Hi

My advice is to either create an excellent CV/Website yourself, or look at online companies who can help you. I have come across a great one called portfoliowhiz dot com. They specialize in international school teachers and are reputable in the circuit. Hope this helps
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @Art Teacher, 1) Portfoliowhiz isnt exactly the go to source for online portfolios within the circuit, Ive heard it mentioned three times (this was the third). 2) Even if you needed help there are plenty of free online resources that have a variety of templates to organize a TOC page and then attaching your files. 3) You really need to do it yourself, and given the tools available on Google anyone can do a portfolio.