Do you let schools know you prefer Skype?

zenteach

Do you let schools know you prefer Skype?

Post by zenteach »

I do not plan on attending a recruiting fair due to cost and days off of work. However, I would go if absolutely necessary if admin at a dream school wanted to meet face-to-face. I have IB experience (10+ years) in secondary science/math, I am an IB workshop leader/consultant/site visitor/coordinator and am hoping that my experience speaks for itself. However that being said, I totally understand that some HOS want to meet face-to-face.

Should I state that I prefer Skype interviews in the intro email or cover letter? Or just say nothing and mention it if the school wants an interview? I am an ISS candidate and I suppose I could also add this to my personal statement. Thank you in advance for any advice.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Either say nothing, and wait until they show interest or state in the first part of your intro message/cover letter that you are registered with ISS but will not be attending any recruiting events this year. My advice would be the latter over the former.
zenteach

Re: Do you let schools know you prefer Skype?

Post by zenteach »

Thank you for the tip PsyGuy.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

You could say that you are registered with ISS but are not planning on attending any fairs at this time. You could then throw in a line that you would be able to make yourself available for a face to face interview should your candidacy be given serious consideration. I think it is assumed that virtually everyone "prefers" Skype.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

My experience of Skype is that it is just not up to the job anymore. Face Time and What's App seem to be better options. I'm sure there are many more. Skype just seems to go progressively down hill for us.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt offer to be available at a fair to begin with, Id wait until the IS really showed interested and the fair was more a meet and greet, otherwise youre more likely to get their thinking its in the bag when the reality is your just one of a dozen or so ITs who gets an invitation or a "stop by our table".

I would agree that Skype as a platform has become inferior to other alternatives, especially Face Time, but its what recruiters use and what they are comfortable with, so until they decide to switch platforms, Skype is going to be the standard.