Teaching in Germany

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@citygirl

You get a lot of benefits:
1) Education: Access to very cheap or free higher education. You can easily do a masters for a fraction of the cost of what you would pay in the US and free even beats the cost of the UK. Its also possible to do a doctorate in about 3 years, and again at very little to no cost.
2) Social Insurance: The national healthcare system is well organized and provides top quality treatment and care.
3) Social Pension: You can collect once you reach eligibility age after 5 years of contributions (vested).
4) Citizenship: If you are not already an EU citizen you can apply after 5 years of residency, and then use the citizenship to move around the EU.
5) Access: Easy access to other parts of the EU and WE.
6) Infrastructure: The typical services from metro (public transportation) to parks, libraries, social and cultural activities.

@Thames Pirate

Many cant make it work.

@joe30

I agree with @Thames Pirate, its 5 years, and your taxes buys you more than just pension.

@b12r

You dont get all your taxes back when you leave, what you get are your social pension contributions back. Its only one small part of your "taxes".
Thames Pirate

Re: Teaching in Germany

Post by Thames Pirate »

Germany does require giving up your prior citizenship if you wish to become a citizen.

It's true that people with unreasonable expectations can't make it work. WE isn't for everyone.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

You can keep German citizenship and other western countries citizenship, this is true of most EU countries and their relationship with the US/AUS/CAN. There are a few countries (mostly EE) that dont recognize multiple citizenships but they dont prohibit holding more than one citizenship.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

It is true in most of the EU, but not in Germany. You have to give up your other citizenship to be naturalized.

ETA: Germany does accept dual citizenship under certain circumstances, but not for naturalization unless you are an asylum seeker for whom renouncing would present undue hardship. You can be German and add another citizenship, bit not add German citizenship to your existing one.
Last edited by Thames Pirate on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Germany is one of the regions that does not prohibit dual nationality, but only recognizes its own within the borders of Germany. You can have, keep, and maintain dual citizenship both German and US/CAN/AUS.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

As I said, you can have dual if you start with German as one of several or if you start with it as your sole nationality and then apply to keep it when you become naturalized in the US, Canada, etc. You must renounce (unless you have a hardship exemption) if you want to become German.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Thats not true, a number of westerners started with western citizenship (US/CAN/AUS) and then obtained German citizenship by familiar recognition keeping both citizenship. You are not required to renounce.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Dude, check German law. Even spouses have to renounce, though their timeframe is shortened to 3 years. Either they started as dual, they renounced, or they lied.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

There is, I believe, a special provision for those stripped of citizenship during the Nazi era. I don't know how it applies to descendants.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

I already have, your position is wrong. When a child is born to a western and German citizen they automatically acquire German citizenship, they do not need to renounce anything, merely apply to have their citizenship recognized and pickup their passport. They keep both dual nationality of both countries.

Yes there is such a provision.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Yes, born dual. As I said. Not the same as the naturalization you recommended. To become a naturalized citizen, you must renounce. Or is this just you backtracking to imply you never said the incorrect thing?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No this is @Thames Pirate trying to back peddle from her you cant be a dual citizen, everyone has to renounce. Per my previous post:

"Germany is one of the regions that does not prohibit dual nationality, but only recognizes its own within the borders of Germany. You can have, keep, and maintain dual citizenship both German and US/CAN/AUS."

If you see "naturalized" in there any where, please cite it.
Thames Pirate

Re: Reply

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy wrote:

> 4) Citizenship: If you are not already an EU citizen you can apply after 5
> years of residency, and then use the citizenship to move around the EU.

This is a reference to naturalization.

Also this: "Thats not true, a number of westerners started with western citizenship (US/CAN/AUS) and then obtained German citizenship by familiar recognition keeping both citizenship. You are not required to renounce" after I said that you can start with Dual but would need to renounce to become a German (i.e. naturalize).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Thank you for agreeing with me, not a single citation I wrote included the use of the term naturalize. Im not responsible for the interpretations of @Thames Pirate.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Ah, it's his semantics retreat. Obtaining citizenship one does not have at birth is known as naturalization. Just because you didn't use the word doesn't mean I somehow misinterpreted you. You recommended that someone obtain German citizenship. That means you recommended naturalization. I simply cautioned that this requires renouncing. When I used the term, you flat out said that wasn't true.

You can retreat behind your semantics if it makes you feel better. It is obvious you didn't know and cannot admit that until pressed, you had never looked it up.

Folks, many countries allow you to naturalize and get that EU passport while keeping your other citizenship. Germany is not one. There are lots of perks to living in Germany. Becoming a dual national by obtaining German citizenship is not one. If you are lucky enough to be born with German nationality, you can, however, go the other way. The German passport currently ranks strongest in the world.