Questions to ask when offered a contract?

b12r

Questions to ask when offered a contract?

Post by b12r »

Trying to be proactive before this event occurs. Anyone with tips on things to ask about specifically? I am a single male so no need to discuss tuition for dependents. Thanks in advance!
reisgio

Re: Questions to ask when offered a contract?

Post by reisgio »

If you are in your 20s, just don't ask any questions. It's all about location at that point for a male. Do you want to be in that city or not? That's a question you have to ask yourself. If you can live comfortably for your type of lifestyle then sign on the dotted line.

If you are in your 30s or older, then ask about savings/retirement/pension if you have not already done so.
b12r

Post by b12r »

Late 20s here. Thanks! Was not sure what an offer looks like from an IS and things are are often needed to be clarified.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

@b12r,

This stuff may seem obvious (or not), but these things would be what I would want clarified.

- With the offer they should specific all your benefits and pay. If they have a published pay scale I would want to see it.
- Value of Moving/relocation benefit.
- Length of initial contract (usually 2 years, but I've heard some places require 3 years)
- You should clarify local tax requirements and what your net pay will be after they are paid. I would want to know what currency I was being paid in and if the school has a process for sending it back home. Some countries, with controlled currencies, can be difficult/impossible to transfer money without assistance from an employer (Mainland China is an example).
- Information about housing/housing stipend if it's offered, would I be assigned a place or do I have some choice in location
- Starting date/school calendar.
- I'd want to know if I had additional responsibilities for running after school activities (how many? is there an additional stipend), though in some cases the specifics of what you would do would depend on who else they hire. I'd want to know if I needed to one a year or how many a year.

There may be others things specific to people that they want to know.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Contract wise you want to discuss the following:
1) Salary: How much, and how is it broken done? If the school includes an optional gratuity is the salary based on the maximum amount. Is salary annualized or just over the contract periods? What are the taxes and deductions? Whens your first pay day, and are advances available?

2) Contact hours: Often overlooked, but how many teaching hours and how many contact hours are required? Whats the daily schedule, and can you leave after your finished? Whats your extra curricular load, and weekend/holiday requirements? When is your first day of reporting (many teachers start well before the first day of school).

3) Insurance: What kind of insurance is there (National or Private)? what do they cover and how much? Where can you (have to) get treatment? Do you or your family have serious pre-existing conditions? Whats the for family, etc?

4) Housing: Do they provide housing or a housing allowance? If an allowance, when is it available? Does the school "Guarantee" for the teacher (this means you wont have to pay deposits and other fees). If an allowance is there temporary housing (a hotel, etc) when you arrive, and for how long? Are utilities included? Does the school provide a leasing agent or service to the teacher?
If its provided housing HOW is it furnished (furnished meaning different things in different regions). If you have a large family is housing available, and how common/expensive is it? How far is the housing from school? Can you keep a pet in provided housing?

5) Airfare: Does the school pay for just employees or dependents as well. Do they provide tickets directly, or are you reimbursed? If reimbursed, how long does it take, and whats the limit?

6) Visa and Documentation: Does the school pay for visas, documents and medical exams?

7) PD: What Professional Development allowances and training does/will the school provide?

8) Allowances: Whether called shipping, moving, relocation or settling in allowances these are basically a pool of money for when you first arrive. Which ones does the school provide, and how much? Do you need to provide receipts and when are you reimbursed?

9) Tuition: You want a tuition waiver for each child attending. Some schools do that some have limits, traditionally its a 1:1 ratio of employees to tuition waivers. Schools can and do bend on this, but anything more then a 1:2 ratio and your going to be frustrated.

10) Spouses: If your bringing a trailing spouse what "opportunities" are available that the school can provide?

11) Clauses: What are the exit clauses, or more commonly referred to as probationary period? How can the school get out of the contract, and how can you get out of it? Whats the contract length (most are 2 years, some are 1 year, and admin positions are commonly 3 years). Whats the dress code? Is the school faith based, and if so whats the "code of conduct"?

Number 2 and 11 are the most overlooked, and critical to understand the value of the offer.