Hong Kong- Comfortable Salary

canadianltb

Hong Kong- Comfortable Salary

Post by canadianltb »

I have received an offer from a school in Hong Kong. I am concerned about the cost of living and an wondering what a comfortable monthly salary would be for a family- assuming that no housing is provided (or that included a housing allowance).
We do not live largely by any manner, however do not want to be stressed about getting food on the table.
I have never traveled to Hong Kong but I hear that not only housing but everything is very expensive. Any information would be appreciated!!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Hong Kong- Comfortable Salary

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I'm not an expert but having applied many times (and had offers at the wrong times) for positions in HK, the big outfit that overseas many schools and teaches in "english" pays between $445,140 to HK$778,980 per year salary (don't know what the cap is for experience), HK$8000 per month for housing and an annual gratuity equivalent to 20% of your gross salary. This is apparently a good to very good (but less than the best) package for HK. You could do OK on less (and certainly on better) but this could be a useful comparison for you.

Having visited HK and having friends that have lived and worked there, it is expensive but you can manage some of those costs by living off of the main island. How easy/desirable this would be for you might depend on where the school is located. Our friends lived in a "village" the New Territories, enjoyed it very much and had a reasonable commute.

HK is amazing btw. We are in Japan and have no plans of leaving anytime soon because we love it, but would consider HK if we ever do move on. If the offer is halfway reasonable I would not hesitate.

Others might have more useful info. for you.
canadianltb

Post by canadianltb »

Thank you for your input!
I am a new teacher- just graduating, so at the very base of the grid. The school is also on the island so I want to be somewhat close- which could mean higher housing! I appreciate any and all information :)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Be prepared for not only expensive housing but small housing.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would concur with @WT123