Health Insurance?in China or other locations

splendid

Health Insurance?in China or other locations

Post by splendid »

Can anyone please provide me with info on what I should be looking for with health insurance? I hope to come home to the States in the summer and see the providers we always see. I am looking at a school in China who offers MSH Health insurance? I have a child with health and issues. Will that coverage be adequate?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Health Insurance?in China or other locations

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Impossible to tell just from the name as all the insurers generally have different levels of coverage, depending on how much the employer is willing to pay. Many schools have been trimming costs by offering less comprehensive coverage. Even the top schools in Beijing were curtailing benefits a bit by not fully covering costs if you chose to go to the most western friendly/expensive hospital (at least a few years ago).

If insurance is a huge deal/deal breaker for you then you need to ask for very specific and official information about the insurance provider before agreeing to any offers.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not very likely. Most policies provide major and minor local/regional coverage and then when traveling they offer an international policy that covers emergency services, but in many of these cases the big exclusion is coverage int he US. Its very unlikely you would have a policy that would allow you to go back to the states and have your major procedures covered for anything that wasnt an emergency.

Its not really possible to say based on the provider, MSH is a European underwriter and provider, they have pretty comprehensive exclusions in their policies for health care in the US that isnt an emergency.

You need be very careful with your health care plan for your child depending what their medical and health conditions are. Some ISs will just say their policy is great and you are covered to find out when you get there that it doesnt offer much protection or doesnt allow you to see a western hospital/clinic. Its very unlikely to be adequate.