What counts as a dependent?

teppany2

What counts as a dependent?

Post by teppany2 »

Do only children qualify as dependents, or also non-teaching spouses? I have a husband and a child-- is it right that my info sheet for a fair says "two dependents"?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It should be listed as "married, one child". You can specify school aged or non-school aged as well if you like. If you are a teaching couple that would be another statement, otherwise it's assumed a non-teaching spouse, but you can specify if you are so inclined.
sid

Re: What counts as a dependent?

Post by sid »

Your summary will read "2 dependents" but your more detailed file will clarify.
A non-teaching spouse is a dependent, unless you want to explain that he's employed elsewhere, in which case you won't get benefits for him, and may possibly be considered only as a local hire.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teppany2

I disagree with @sid, while your profile will be more detailed and clarify your family logistics. A trailing spouse is not a dependent, they are a spouse they wont require a tuition waiver. If the spouse is employed outside the IS or not employed at all it wont effect most benefits. You will still qualify for whatever the housing benefit or allowance is based on your total family size. If there is a travel allowance your spouse will qualify you for whatever benefit that is regardless who they are or are not employed with. The same is true with social/health insurance. The only real issue that differs is the visa, either they will sponsor a spousal visa or another employer will sponsor them for a work visa.
If you were living locally in the region at the time you may be considered a LH, there are other factors that effect your classification as LH or OSH, but if you are an OSH you will get those benefits regardless of what your spouse does or does not do (of course the caveat to this is that there are bottom tier ISs that will try to get an IT as cheaply as possible).