Updates from Bangkok

PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

BKK was very typical for recent years, I agree with @Nomad.
I strongly disagree with @Thames Pirate, while its more common in upper tier ISs for some kind of recruitment leave, this isnt true at lower and mid tier ISs.

@twoteachers
@cms989

ISS has always been stronger than SA. at BKK.
Thames Pirate

Re: Updates from Bangkok

Post by Thames Pirate »

My experience has been that you get the leave. Of course, to me IE doesn't mean teaching in a DS as the token white person . . . .

And I disagree about ISS vs. Search. See other threads for this ongoing disagreement.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Our experiences and expertise differ.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Ah, the subtle dig. I thought you were trying not to get personal?

My experience in IE is that the schools give the time. My understanding is that many schools do it. I will not claim to speak to more than that.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Theres nothing subtle or personal, our experiences and expertise differ. The majority of ISs dont give leave for attending a fair.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY THE FORUM MODERATOR BECAUSE IT CONFLICTS WITH OUR TERMS OF USE AND FORUM RULES.

FORUM RULES: http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... ?f=7&t=306

TERMS OF USE: https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... embers.htm
Walter

Post by Walter »

@Dave "ISS has always been stronger than SA. at BKK"

This is such tosh, Dave! ISS in BKK: candidates 200+; SEARCH in BKK: candidates 500+
Schools in attendance in the same proportion; top tier schools in attendance in the same proportion.
ISS numbers received their boost to 200+ because they have linked up with Teach Away to generate more candidates.
Data matters, Dave, nothing else!
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Walter is correct.. Maybe historically ISS BKK has been stronger but this year it was SEARCH. ISS had few candidates that a top tier school would look at. It was a job fair for newbies and Tier 2 and 3 schools.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY THE FORUM MODERATOR BECAUSE IT CONFLICTS WITH OUR TERMS OF USE AND FORUM RULES.

Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

In my experience, and the experience of my colleagues and friends, Search is the far stronger fair in BKK. Yes, some jobs go at ISS, but often they are the smaller schools that don't do Search (tough to stomach nobody lining up to go to your interviews, or else your school is run/managed by ISS and so Search is out).

And yes, I have taught in five countries and in each country, time off has been given to attend fairs. Paid time off. To me that is a warning sign if a school does not have recruitment time built into its contract. At least 3 days after the initial two years, with one day a year added on for each additional year of service.

If you choose to go to a school that doesn't offer leave, then that is a choice you make. "Not knowing" is a rationale, but if you have been around on the circuit for awhile, then that doesn't cut it. Your first school maybe, but after that - sorry. The tools are there for you to do the research - the rest is up to you.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Only data matters. Of course SA has more candidates, they have a more relaxed entry standard. They also have more ISs, their barrel is deeper, and they rep a higher concentration of lower tier ISs. SA is IKEA, and ISS is a boutique. There isnt an advantage to being a fish in a bigger pond unless your one of the big fish.

I disagree with @SJ, upper tier ISs will give recruitment leave, but the vast majority of ISs are not upper tier and they dont provide recruitment leave.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

You make it all about status rather than finding a job. However, you also erroneously insist that the best are with ISS, despite evidence to the contrary. I guess that data doesn't matter?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Its about the recruitment experience. There is no error, your data is misinterpreted.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

The recruitment experience is about finding a job.

Data has top schools at both agencies, but more at Search. It has more postings at Search. It has more variety at Search. It has more geographic variability at Search.

I have no idea what brand of logic turns that data into a win for ISS. I suspect bitterness toward Search or a paycheck from ISS.