Asking for References from Current Teachers

Teach1010

Asking for References from Current Teachers

Post by Teach1010 »

At what point in the hiring process (if at all) is it appropriate to ask a recruiter to be put in contact with a current teacher to get a feel for what it's like to work at a particular school? It seems like I've read somewhere in the forums that you can sometimes do that. Might it be safer to state the reason for wanting to contact a current teacher is to get a feel for some aspect not related to the quality of the school (such as concern about what life outside of school would be like for your kids or how possible it would be to make ends meet given a specific financial situation you are in)?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The time to do that is near the end of contract negotiation when you state X time to decide, ask for a faculty/IT contact who would be willing to discuss regional and local life challenges with you.
I wouldnt put much credit in whoever they offer you to contact, its just going to be an admin cheerleader.
Thames Pirate

Re: Asking for References from Current Teachers

Post by Thames Pirate »

You could see if the school has teacher emails listed on the website and try a cold contact. Just be aware that it is probably a school server or something, so while the content of the emails is unlikely to get back to administrators, it could--for them and you. But if you are desperate, that might be an option.
mistyknight

Re: Asking for References from Current Teachers

Post by mistyknight »

In my most recent interview, after my first interview with the principal I spoke with the other person in my department. After that I spoke with a teacher experiencing their 1st year at the school. The principal then emailed me asking if I wanted to speak with other teachers/staff members. I did. I also requested to speak with a specific teacher (for a certain reason). After that I had my second interview with the principal. Then I interviewed with the director and discussed contract, etc. They never stalled on my requests and always sent contact info immediately. They were very encouraging about me speaking to other staff members.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Teach1010

I strongly disagree with @Thames Pirate and advise against a cold contact to an ITs IS email. You could likely be putting the IT in a difficult position, and its going to get back to leadership as the IT is going to want/need to consult with someone in leadership regarding how to proceed, assuming they dont just delete the email and remember you, which might be an enemy before you even get there assuming you get the vacancy.
Less compromising for them is if you can contact them and ask for an outside email or contact point, even better if you can establish contact through another social network access point.