What's on your professional development reading list?

Amusing User Name

What's on your professional development reading list?

Post by Amusing User Name »

As a new IT and an unabashed bibliophile, I was impressed by Chilagringa's mention of a horde of professional development books.

I am currently working through:

- Mathematics for Elementary Teachers 10ed by Gary L. Musser

- Dumbing us down The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto

In this age of distraction I often find it difficult to actually sit down and read a book. Still, it'd be nice to hear what people are reading.
marieh

Re: What's on your professional development reading list?

Post by marieh »

I'm about halfway through Action Research: Improving Schools and Empowering Educators. To be fair, it's required for my last grad school course (yay!) but it's fairly interesting from a professional perspective. A couple of other books that I've glanced over recently are Fostering Algebraic Thinking A Guide for Teachers 6-10 and Making Sense of Algebra: Developing Students’ Mathematical Habits of Mind. For physics, you can't beat Arons' Teaching Introductory Physics, but it is admittedly a bit of a slog to read. I'm only about halfway through.
fine dude

Re: What's on your professional development reading list?

Post by fine dude »

I read the following over the last two months and they are all good:
How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens by Benedict Carey
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
Physics: Principles With Application by Douglas G. Giancoli
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I am currently reading an 1846 French series printing of the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
(Auguste Maquet). I'm writing a white paper on the English influence in western literature. It is not easy, though my progress in a language no one uses anymore is improving.