I'm not competitive - next step M.Ed TESOL?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cms989

You will need to add Literature/Language Arts to your ESOL credential. ESOL DTs in secondary are providing an alternative language arts classroom, but those students will still need to earn ELA credits for graduation, which you cant provide if you are not a credentialed ELA DT. You will need this at secondary level and is available in Texas by taking the ELAR 7-12 area. You will also need a primary credential to cover year 6 and any elementary/primary ESOL support appointment as a highly qualified DT under ESSA, especially if your going to do district wide resource or support or inclusion in primary. I would also spend some time with Rosetta Stone learning some basic Spanish.

@helloiswill

A degree from John Hopkins was a marketable boost to your resume, not Harvard, but has status recognition.

@Monkey

That was before the great recession hit DE. That was back when there was some truth to there being DT shortage.

@Teach1010

I dont agree that the market in US DE is healthy enough that a History DT, with no experience is marketable. This is exactly the kind of resume that gathers dust on a pile, there is no shortage of history DTs in the US. Lots of them got degrees in history, didnt know how to monetize it that became DTs, but if you dont know someone in ownership or leadership at a DS who can open doors for you, your not going to get anywhere with a cold application. Whats going to happen is exactly what did happen with the LWs IE search: Send out a hundred plus or more resumes and get a couple contacts and as soon as they find out where the LW is, that they arent even in the country and cant do a F2F interview thats going to be the end of it. Why take a chance on someone half way around the world whos resume is essentially a credential and a lot of white space when there are a hundred candidates who are local

The other issue is one of credentialing, its not practical to apply to any and every state in the US the vast majority of these DS systems use online applications and except for one state the LW has to mark "not certified" because in all the other states outside Texas they arent credentialed, and it wouldnt be as easy as just filling out some paperwork, in most cases the DT would have to complete some exam requirements (a recent PRAXIS would facilitate this) but then wait for CRBs to be processed, and from the leadership side its a lot of work a DS may go through for a STEM, ESOL or SPED/SEN/LD vacancy but for a history teacher with a lot of nothing in the way of experience, not happening.

Private DSs are just US ISs, the competition is very high. There are lots of DTs that will happily take a salary cut to move from a public/maintained DS to an independent/private DS.

Teaching ESOL in a ES is not comparable to teaching ESOL in an IS and even less so in a DS. ESOL in an ES is edutainment. Teaching ESOL in a DS is learning support.

Its not a lot of ES experience, the LW has two years in an ES.

I agree advance degrees are something an IS can market to clients.
cms989

Re: I'm not competitive - next step M.Ed TESOL?

Post by cms989 »

I appreciate all the responses and I think I've been "talked down from the ledge" of grad school. I think I was just a little overwhelmed at the job search but got a few applications out to public school systems in the U.S. and will be more patient as most of them haven't started hiring yet.

On a side note some of these application are ridiculous, just got an email asking for my official college transcripts to be mailed to a school just for an application!

Before we get to debating the value of this subjects vs. that, I'm using this data to guide my thinking:

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/ruraled/tab ... efer=urban
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cms989

You havent applied very much, most of them are like that they want everything in your file from references to transcripts to CRB before they will even talk to you (your file isnt visible or complete until you ahve everything in). You should see the UK process, everyone uses dated paper application forms you have to print or spend time reformatting word files, and they are all 6-10 pages long.

Almost all the vacancies were filled regardless of the subject or difficulty and the difference between unfilled vacancies of the most difficult (ESOL 2.9%) and the easiest (Social Studies .5%), excluding primary. were a difference of 2.4% (and the SDs were huge).