China and pollution...

Overhere

Re: China and pollution...

Post by Overhere »

As if we really know what we are eating or drinking in the United States.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Overhere

Its disingenuous to compare food safety in China to the US.
rfried3

Post by rfried3 »

I went to China for my 3rd international job. I stayed for 4 years in Beijing and ultimately left because of the pollution. I got a few sinus infections and a very bad case of bronchitis.
I was getting paid very well but at the end of the day, my health was worth more to me than any amount of money.
Depending on how sensitive you are, you might not last 4 years. I know teachers who left after one or two years due to health issues from pollution for them or their children.
Note, that this was 4 years with 2 expensive (like $500-1000) air purifiers in my apartment etc.
I realized that after leaving just how much I missed being outdoors and blue skies.
Macao and HK are better than Beijing, but pollution is still a serious issue wherever you are.
So yes, pollution is really that bad. I would think seriously about taking job in China because of it.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I wouldn't go to China at all if I had a choice but right now I am not in such a lucky position. Beijing pollution especially worries me and if I end up going I have a clear exit plan after 3 years with the motivation of savings and adding to my CV. I won't stay longer than that unless I have zero options. It is a worry but right now I am not lucky enough to be able to choose a better place to go to.