Cameroon and Ethiopa

shadowjack

Re: Cameroon and Ethiopa

Post by shadowjack »

LOL - you lost me at "all the government safety warnings". Listen, does the US warn its citizens not to go to Chicago? Or LA? Or New Orleans? Miami Beach? Hmmm

I have learned in my time overseas that most of the time a warning is issued it is a CYA warning - cover your a$$ just in case. The only times I have really heard of problems was during times when there was NO warning.

Do your research. Know what you are getting into. Walking in blind is stupid. But you are at risk ANYWHERE for murder (check out some of the stories from the beaches in SE Asia, or other stories from the Philippines, or India. Risk is part of life.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @joe30, Id have written a very similar response.

There used to be a member who raved about the IS in Angola, with a very similar response.
The problem is you have to live in the region, and to do so, the weight of the why has to outweigh the hardship of the day too day. The hardships are very, very heavy in these locations.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

At least the IS in Angola pays you a lot of money to suffer the hardship of living there.

The one listed on Search in Cameroon however...well, let's put it this way...it's under $30,000 for BA+8. Who the heck would take such a tiny amount of money to live in such an awful area? You could get similar money in Europe, more money in Asia...and both are much more desirable places to live. Hence my observation - these jobs are for the insane only. I'd honestly rather be claiming state benefits back home than take a job paying $30k in Cameroon.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

SJ

Are you seriously comparing Southbeach and Cameroon?

That's rhetorical btw.

OG
MamfeMan

Post by MamfeMan »

$30,000?! When I worked there, me and my wife were paid in BEADS. We were able to save my wife's salary, but then we had to use it all to pay off those pesky child soldiers. Harumph. First world problems, I guess!

No, really, though. Thanks guys for your sage advice. It's good to know there are such well-informed international educators in our global network. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with my therapist. I'm still dealing with the emotional aftershock of my wife's circumcision, and let me tell you, IT AIN'T EASY!
Walter

Post by Walter »

"At least the IS in Angola pays you a lot of money to suffer the hardship of living there."

Sorry to pee on your chips, Joe 90, but IS Angola hasn't paid its faculty at all since August.
As for Lagos... I've worked in Africa and that would be very low on my list.
Any more insights?
joe30

Post by joe30 »

Yes, if that's true then all it would mean is that the IS in Angola is also struck from the 'recommended' list. It doesn't absolve the failings of all the other sub-Saharan Africa schools.

And when I say 'recommended' I mean in the sense they're the only ones anyone should even consider working for, not that they represent the top of the IE tree. Anyone going to work in Africa for less than $60k a year is a total idiot, and to be honest $80k+ sounds more like it. The hardships of the region are even greater than the ME, so you need greater than ME coin to even consider it.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I count my time living in Africa among the happiest times of my life, so it wouldn't take a massive salary for me to go back.

Would depend on the country, though. I'd be open to Ghana, Senegal, Burkina, Cameroon, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Uganda, Malawi, Rwanda and probably a few more countries that I'm not thinking of right now.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

joe30 wrote:
> so you need greater than ME coin

Maybe it's just me, but only one poster uses the word 'coin' in reference to salary on this board.

.....any guesses?
Walter

Post by Walter »

I think it's Mini Me. Though to be fair if he is Dave's alter ego at least he understands some of the rules of grammar.
@chilagringa: for me it would be Ghana, Namibia, Zambia, Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia. How anyone young and single wouldn't want an adventure in Africa is beyond me. I can't see anyone who's old and grey beginning a sentence to grandchildren with, "I remember when I was working in....." and then finishing it with "Zurich" or "Singapore"
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Youd have a better chance of having the conversation with grand kids by NOT going to some conflict, impoverished region of Africa.
The only part of Africa worth going too and living is South Africa (Cape Town/JBurg) and you can make your safari adventure story on the weekends and holiday. By that point your grand kids will be able to ignore you while staring at you and playing Candy Crush via some type of neural implant that or whatever the next replacement for a smart phone is. You can lead a decent life and be compensated the coin in doing it.
I did my crusader work in the Peace Corp and no one wants to hear about it, no one wants to ever hear about someone elses travel experiences, the only people who think travel experiences are interesting are the people telling the story.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

Walter wrote:

> How anyone young and single wouldn't want an adventure in Africa is beyond me.

LOL, I'll stick with Thailand, thanks. Let me see...amazing nightlife, cheap living, loads of hot hookers who will go with you for $20, fantastic scenery, and easy to date the local women - often several at a time.

Compare that with some shithole in Africa, where you're constantly on guard against being the next kidnapping victim, and the dust, disease and poverty stretches out as far as the eye can see. Yeah, real difficult choice. The punchline is you'll get paid about the same in both these areas (apart from LIS Angola and AS Lagos).
Walter

Post by Walter »

@joe90
Given that your ambition in life seems to be to spread your seed as far and wide and cheaply and indiscriminately as possible, have you ever thought about ditching a career in education and becoming, say, a flight attendant with Air Asia?
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@walter

That wouldnt help. 1) FAs are constantly moving around, with little control and often little opportunity for social opportunities. 2) You would have too wait years as in a decade or longer before you had the seniority to get international flights. 3) It looks glamorous but the coin is really low.

IE is one of the better ways to travel and be an expat early in ones life and career. Going into business would take 5+ years before youd be considered for an expat posting with a multi national. Aside from IE or ESOL, ICT and bilingual proficiency in a business group are the fastest ways overseas, and the typical time frame for those take longer than 2 years.
nathan61

Re: Discussion

Post by nathan61 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Youd have a better chance of having the conversation with grand kids by NOT
> going to some conflict, impoverished region of Africa.
> The only part of Africa worth going too and living is South Africa (Cape
> Town/JBurg) and you can make your safari adventure story on the weekends
> and holiday.

Seriously? Out of all the countries being discussed in this thread South Africa is one of the more dangerous posts. I have lived in African countries for the last 7 years and would not trade that to breath polluted Asian air that is guaranteed to lower my life expectancy. Stop being scared, we live in the safest time in human history. It is easy to look at statistics etc and see that for an IT life in many African countries is not that dangerous. Many people move overseas to have an adventure. If your priority is being as safe as possible you should probably stick to being a bureaucrat in some first world country.