International School of Kenya

guest5

International School of Kenya

Post by guest5 »

Does anyone have experience with this school? There isn't a review of this school on ISR. I'd love to hear the pros and cons of working here. Thanks!
garp

ISK

Post by garp »

It's been awhile, but teaching at ISK was a great experience. The campus is beautiful - not high tech, glossy beautiful - but Kenya beautiful. Elementary school rooms are in round buildings built to resemble huts. There are almost 50 acres of grass, bougainvillea, banana groves, jacaranda trees which carpet the campus in violet blooms daily during August. The kids were superb - children of diplomats, NGO officers, medical researchers, academics. The ratio of parents who held PhDs had to be among the best in the world. The consequence of this was students had high expectations of themselves. Travel opportunities within Kenya were vast - safaris or the beach - which do you prefer?
The drawback was safety, and the situtation has gotten worse. Bad things do happen to good people, and some teachers--like other residents of Kenya- have been victims of terrible crimes. The school did address this, but they cannot protect everyone all the time.
carlflanders

INT'L SCHOOL IN KENYA APPEALING

Post by carlflanders »

[size=18][/size]
I have spent about 30 minutes researching the school and area of Nairobi, Kenya. Wildlife like Kenya holds would be thrilling as well as the other geographic sites.
The CIA Factsheet and US Dept. of State are clear in their warnings and information about the country itself that I am reluctant to go with my young children. Same goes for Tanzania. My wife and I may go for it when the boys are older. If you are single or a couple without children, go for it!
Carl F.
movieturtle

Post by movieturtle »

The previous information about ISK is old so I was wondering if anyone had any updates?