Rejecting an Offer

carolina

Rejecting an Offer

Post by carolina »

I received my first offer recently, and despite being an amazing school, I don't think it's the right fit for me.

How have you turned down an offer in the past? Email? Schedule a follow-up Skype call?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Rejecting an Offer

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Email. If you are turning them down, they don't really want to talk to you and will move very quickly to the next one in line.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

JC, EMAIL! What world do you live in to think they want to speak with you about it? Do you want to share your feelings?! Lord have mercy.
mistyknight

Post by mistyknight »

Carolina, how long did they give you to make a decision?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Email, they would be offended likely if you scheduled a Skype meeting just to reject their offer, they dont care, and they want to move on to the next candidate. Dont give them reasons, just thank you, you are declining to pursue other opportunities or you are no longer available.

Alternatively, you can send them a message by Skype, but email would be preferred. If you really wanted to be non-confrontational and they gave you a deadline (usually a few days or a weekend), you can just ghost them and not respond.
carolina

Post by carolina »

My inclination was email, but in the past, I've had follow-up calls scheduled to reject job offers (education sector, but not teaching positions) so wanted to confirm the norm. I have until the end of this coming week to give the yay or nay.

Follow-up Q: Has anyone leveraged an offer to accelerate another school's decision? I'm still in process with my first choice school (have had 2 interviews: principal & vice principal + department chair) and expect to have a final interview the Director before the holiday break. I'm wondering if it's a worth dropping them a line tomorrow or Tuesday to say, "I wanted to update you on my end as I've received a competing job offer"?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

carolina wrote:
> My inclination was email, but in the past, I've had follow-up calls
> scheduled to reject job offers (education sector, but not teaching
> positions) so wanted to confirm the norm. I have until the end of this
> coming week to give the yay or nay.
>
> Follow-up Q: Has anyone leveraged an offer to accelerate another school's
> decision? I'm still in process with my first choice school (have had 2
> interviews: principal & vice principal + department chair) and expect
> to have a final interview the Director before the holiday break. I'm
> wondering if it's a worth dropping them a line tomorrow or Tuesday to say,
> "I wanted to update you on my end as I've received a competing job
> offer"?

unless school B is pushing you, why take the risk? you've already had 3 interviews with school A obviously they're interested. seems to me like you'd push them away if you did that. if it comes up in the interview ok, but i wouldn't push. sounds like you're in a good position.

good luck!

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@carolina

You can try, but its either an all or nothing outcome. Depending how far the IS is into the recruiting process they may present you an offer, but if not they are very likely to wish you luck and move on. Most of the time they send you walking.