Job offer made and then...silence!

Nomad68

Job offer made and then...silence!

Post by Nomad68 »

I was made an offer by a school subject to references and the usual checks. That was a month ago. Since then I have heard nothing, even after sending on some supplementary documents. (My references don't worry me - but there is one former principal I don't list who is known to try to scupper/spike references for former colleagues as he has an axe to grind after he was fired and returned to classroom teaching). So, how long more should I wait to hear before I chase it up with the school?
Art Teacher

Re: Job offer made and then...silence!

Post by Art Teacher »

I would email now. That is ridiculous they are taking so long. I would look for other jobs in the meantime. If this was through an agency I would tell them too!
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

It was via a recruiter the school is using. Will do.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Did you sign a contract or just get a verbal offer? If the latter, it's over. If the former, I would call ASAP if for no other reason just to get out of the contract.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Nomad68 wrote:
> I was made an offer by a school subject to references and the usual checks.
> That was a month ago. Since then I have heard nothing, even after sending
> on some supplementary documents. (My references don't worry me - but there
> is one former principal I don't list who is known to try to scupper/spike
> references for former colleagues as he has an axe to grind after he was
> fired and returned to classroom teaching). So, how long more should I wait
> to hear before I chase it up with the school?

If it was verbal then it's gone, though you've more than likely also dodged a bullet. Move on...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They dont want you. The rule is when an IS wants you they act like they want you. If you have a contract I would follow up immediately. Absent that, its likely your past principal poisoned your candidacy. Regardless I would move on and continue your vacancy search in the mean time.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

There is no contract as yet but I was told that the school regard the offer letter and my acceptance in writing scanned back as binding. If it happens it happens but in the meantime i am continuing my search.
PsyGuy

Repy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

If the offer letter was as binding and informed as a contract it would be called a contract. Only contracts matter.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Its a new school and contracts are still being written. Having worked in that country before I know its not unusual to see the contract on arrival. I have another week to wait until they return from vacation.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

Its been 2 months now, how long do you think it takes to write a contract. A law office can customize a template and have it done in a few days.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

Happy to report that the offer and position have been confirmed. As it is a new school in its start up year things were slow to get out but it looks hopeful.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Really glad to hear that Nomad. Congratulations! Hopefully out of the sandbox? (I think in one of your posts on another thread you had referenced being in the ME?)
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

Yes, congrats, Nomads!
cms989

Post by cms989 »

What exactly does one expect to happen after signing a contract? I signed mine last week and have heard nothing. I mean, it would be nice for them to acknowledge receipt. At the same time I'm not exactly sure if there is anything to do now in January for a late August start . .

I also told the agency who I imagine told them that it's official by them, so I imagine the agency would tell me if something was amiss
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cms989

You are still waiting?
What you should expect back is a scan or copy of the contract posted back to you with the executive leadership or ownerships execution (signature and/or seal) on the contract. That really does take maybe 15 minutes and assumes someone has to load the printer with the letterhead, and find the seal/chop/hanko, then find the ink pad/pot. Then figure out how to scan something (maybe 30 minutes if its really incompetent office staff).

What would you expect your agency to tell you? As long as the IS pays the invoice for the placement they could dump you in August and your agency wont do anything about it as long as there is some type of excuse (enrollment didnt meet expectations, etc.). You will likely be the last to know and at best your agency will let you back into the database for all the good it would do over the summer.
This is a new IS, lots of things can happen in a very short period of time.