College GPA

alet3233

College GPA

Post by alet3233 »

Do international schools look at your college GPA and transcripts like US schools do?
sid

Re: College GPA

Post by sid »

Generally not too much, though as we'll probably see your transcripts as one of many documents in your application file, it's obviously better if they are decent. The more time passes after graduation, the less schools should care about transcripts, and the more they'll care about how good you are as a teacher. If you're new to teaching, it may be almost all we know about you, so a little relevant. If you've been a teacher a while, I probably won't give your transcript more than a glance, just enough to confirm your degree.
As a recruiter, I am biased against applicants who highlight grade info. It's enough to have it in the file. Pointing out your 4.0 makes you look swarmy, as if that's all that matters.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Usually if you are a relatively new teacher. Once you are established in your second or third position, depending on longevity, not so much.
yoplay

Post by yoplay »

In my limited experience, I've seen a mix on school applications. Similar to Sid's mentioning of finding teachers who reference their GPA as a negative thing from an admin's perspective, I find schools that require GPA as a red flag. I want to be at an institution that recognizes good teachers are not made by knowledge of content. Certainly it plays a role, but I find some schools mistake rigor for elitism and "preparation".
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

What matters at the end of the day is your pedagogical content knowledge, classroom management, willingness to learn, and accept feedback. Even if you have a 4.0 GPA, but you can't explain to a 6 or 12 year old, that's of very little significance. I would hire a B+ BC Calculus teacher who produced consistently excellent results, than an A+ one who will not get off his high horse.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In general no. ISs and recruiters want to verify you have a degree, and to a lessor extent your major and academic preparation, they care more about your coursework than they do your grades. There are two factors that make an ITs resume: 1) Those things they can teach (certifications, degrees, etc.) and what they have taught (experience, scores).
Its less an issue in IE, because the bar to entry is typically 2 years post certification, which is sufficient time to show your proficiency in the classroom regardless of how well you performed academically. Experience tends to be the great gatekeeper it separates those that are successful from those who arent for any number of reasons, from great practitioners who cant teach themselves out of a box, to those who cant do much more than lecture.

The exception is the ISs that accept intern class ITs (those without the prerequisite experience), in those cases they need to rely more on your transcript. ISs are not the place for an intern class IT to make their bones, ISs arent usually resourced or mentored well for learning the professional practice of teaching and education.

that said what they are more interested in is your marks and coursework in education rather than your academic subject competency. There is nothing in K12/KS education that is above first year university level 9with the exception of maths).