London fair - any point with a trailing spouse

tangchao

London fair - any point with a trailing spouse

Post by tangchao »

Hi all,

I am considering going to the London Search fair for the first time. I am aware that there is no point turning up to the Bangkok fair if you have a (semi) trailing spouse. Is the same true for London?

My wife is a TA in elementary with some PYP training and I am looking for a secondary leadership role.

TC
wrldtrvlr123

Re: London fair - any point with a trailing spouse

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I would disagree that one non-teaching dependent is a deal breaker for any fair or for virtually any school. I believe that almost any school would consider that a fair exchange for getting a good teacher.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Agreed. I hooked a job at the BKK Fair with a NT spouse in tow. Not an in demand area either.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You should be fine. A trailing spouse is not a huge cost or commitment for the school. There are schools that won't hire you, but these tend to be the for-profit schools that value the bottom line above all else.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with the previous major contributors. A lot depends on what you mean by "semi trailing spouse" and your resume and marketability. While an IS rarely advertises for a TA, many ISs have them and they are often filled by sponsored spouses when available.

The bigger and more significant concern is that pursuing leadership you are already late, the leadership fair was in November, and the sooner the better. ISs first recruit leadership, so unless your only looking for junior leadership vacancies (coordinator, etc.) you need to go the sooner the better. Unless your fluent in the local language many of the non ASs and BSs in the EU wont be interested in a senior leadership member who cant converse in the local language, this means you want ASs/BSs, and this is going to be BKK. This also makes the issue of your spouse moot, as a member of senior leadership you can hire your spouse as a TA relatively easy.