Landing your First IB Coordinator Job

AnotherIT

Landing your First IB Coordinator Job

Post by AnotherIT »

Just wondering what people would recommend at the best way to navigate the move from Teaching to Administration.

I am paying for my own IB DP Coordinator Cat #1 in the spring as my current school does not offer the IB Program.
I have taught both IB History and Theory of Knowledge in the past and really enjoy the program, but it seems like the move from teacher to admin is a difficult one.

I have experience running trips, organizing CAS at my last school and MUN at my past two schools. I have taken on the faculty adviser role for Student's Council at my current school, as well as creating a debate team. I have experience chairing a re-accreditation committee on school climate.

Previous to working in education I was a project manager for 9 years in the automotive industry and have experience coordinating teams of various sizes across multiple sites. (including multiple nations)

I guess I want to know, what do suggest I do, or high light to have someone give me a chance in admin?

Thanks
sid

Re: Landing your First IB Coordinator Job

Post by sid »

The easiest route is usually work for it where you are. Start acting like a leader. Volunteer. Identify gaps and fill them. Make yourself the obvious candidate for the next open post.
AnotherIT

Post by AnotherIT »

@sid,

I appreciate the advice, but I am currently in Guatemala and it is not the place for me.

Secondly, the school I am at is far too small and the admin here is entrenched. The school is a fine place to work, but I will not be living here another year. The high crime rate (had my wife's cell phone stolen from her backpack and our apartment robbed by a group that paid off our security guards) is something I no longer want to worry about.
sid

Post by sid »

Then find a new place and do it there.
If you don't have a leadership credential, and you haven't earned at least some position of responsibility where you are, or impressed your director so much he's willing to profess in writing that you are ready for admin, it's the only real route.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are 3 general avenues into leadership:
1) Grow In
2) Work In
3) Edge In

Grow in means you start at an IS as an IT, you work well with leadership, parents and ownership, and then when their is an opening you get the job because ownership trusts you and leadership and parents like you. This pathway is faster at lower tier ISs, where there is a lot of turnover and longevity often means your only one of the few staff to renew.

Work in means you get a M.Ed in Ed.Ld, you add a credential, you build some leadership or management experience and you work your way up into leadership. This may and often requires some work in DE. This is the pathway that accounts for the majority of leadership. Candidates were leadership in DE, and they were hired as leadership in IE.

Edge in means you make friends and build a network, maybe you marry into, but someone in ownership likes you and gives you the job, or someone in leadership helps you get into the job. This is the least common path into leadership.