Odd question: One dog vs. two dogs when in IT?

marieh

Odd question: One dog vs. two dogs when in IT?

Post by marieh »

This may seem like a silly question, but I want to make sure we're not severely limiting our future employment options. Basically, my husband and I are currently fostering a puppy and are thinking about permanently adopting him. This would be in addition to our current street dog. The puppy is the same breed, so in a year or two when we're looking to find another job, we will have two "dependents" that are 70lbs each of pure muscle and large teeth. They're both very nice though.

My question: From a hiring perspective, is there really any difference between a teacher having one dog and having two dogs? We realise that some schools have a no-dogs or no-pets policy, but those were never an option for us anyways. We just want to make sure we're not making ourselves un-hireable with too much excess baggage. I should mention that we are childfree, so it's just the dogs.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Odd question: One dog vs. two dogs when in IT?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

It's a good question. I would say in general that if the school/country is doable with one 70 lb. dog then most would also be doable for two. I've heard of at least a few locations where it's one pet per passport so you would be fine with those. This website has some good information:

http://www.petrelocation.com/pet-reloca ... quirements

I do think you might be limiting yourself as far as housing options in some/many locations (especially larger cities where apt. dwelling is the norm). Then again, even one large dog would limit you in some of those places.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Thanks for the feedback. We've already accepted the fact that some large cities and schools that provide apartments as housing are out for us, but that's okay. We actually prefer smaller schools in rural areas, or cities (such as Bangkok) where one can still find houses with yards within commuting distance of the major schools. I suppose I am more worried about the fact that we might come off as crazy dog people with two rescues in tow.

If anyone does know of particularly dog-friendly schools in the Middle East, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, or Central/East Africa, I'd love to hear about them.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @WT123, if one large dog is okay then a second isnt going to be an issue assuming you accept the challenges.

Your pets arent really an IS issue, there is no reason to even tell them assuming they arent your housing property owner. Dont bring it up and then you dont have to worry about it.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

It's definitely something to think about. I think the main issue is how much money you're willing to spend to have an extra dog.

Two dogs can up the cost considerably in terms of transport. Some routes the cost of moving two big dogs won't be an issue, and other places it could be over a thousand USD to transport one dog that size.

During holidays if you have to board your dogs having two can up the price a lot. Some countries may have limited kennel facilities and may be more geared towards small dogs.

Also, I'm in a city in China where you can only register one dog per household. Lots of people keep more than one dog and some register the other to a friend's place. However, if they started to enforce dog registration it could be a real issue if you had more than one dog. Some countries have these kinds of rules and are much more strict about enforcement.

Something to think about if you need to get help for walking the dogs while you're at work is whether you can find someone comfortable handling two large dogs. Even if your dogs are well-behaved, how do they react to poorly behaved dogs and will the person be able to manage them.

Good quality dog food is much more expensive here that back in North America. I spend about twice as much as I did back home. While it's not an excessive amount, it does add up.

Again, for the most part I think it's manageable as long as you don't mind the additional costs which can add up fast and be more expensive than back in your home country.

Eion