"PERKS"

senator

"PERKS"

Post by senator »

On a lighter note, I've been looking at the Search database school profiles and have started to notice some of the "perks" that schools write in, ostensibly to draw attention away fro their mediocre salary/benefit packages.

For example. many schools list "free lunch" as a perk. I mean, "perk".

My favorite is one I just read yesterday...get ready..."you can get a great macchiato for $1.95".

Any others?
PsyGuy

response

Post by PsyGuy »

When I read those I often wonder who is the person filling out the profile, and have this vision of a poor receptionist or secretary trying to fill the white space with something because they were told to.

My favorite one was "You can buy a whole basket of fruit for $2".
fine dude

Re: "PERKS"

Post by fine dude »

"Free snack and coffee in the workroom"
"Welcome Cruise"
"Annual Attendance Award"
"Annual Outing"
Chinese are quite innovative when it comes to luring teachers with their perky perks. Confucius would be proud. I can definitely enjoy the so called 'perks' if the pay is as good as their gourmet coffee or their welcome cruise.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

"discount grocery card" oh, you mean the one that everyone on the street has? Where do I sign? Haha!

However, free lunch is an awesome "perk.". Never having to prepare a lunch, or even think about it or pay for it is wonderful. Not deal breaker, though;-)
sid

Post by sid »

Free lunch is definitely a perk, not a "perk". Anything that makes your life easier, nicer or cheaper is a perk (if the school is providing it).
And since it's common to talk about the perks of living in this city over that city, I have no argument with the proposition that cheap good coffee is a perk. No, it's not provided by the school, but it is available only if I move to certain locations.
Grocery discount card needs explanation. Some schools can hook teachers up with commissary cards or serious discounts at major businesses. One of my schools was part of a massive organization with discounts all over town - off new car purchases, car insurance, 50-75% off luxury hotel bookings, jewelry stores, opticians, lots more. Definitely a perk. A grocery store frequent shopper card is hardly in the same category.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

No @sid those claims are not true because you describe them so; this is classic leadership obfuscation, a benefit doesnt have value because leadership says it does.

1) Free lunch CAN be a perk, depending what the lunch is and what the expectations are. If you can go into the dining hall get your tray and get either a IT lunch or student lunch and the food is okay and then you can leave and go back to your room or faculty suite, there is some value there that increases as the quality of the food increases. If however the lunch is undesirable because its "kid food" (mac & cheese and chicken nuggets) or something you wouldnt eat, then the free lunch doesnt have utility. If the lunch has conditions such as you get a free lunch if you eat with your mentoring or enrichment or homeroom studnts or another class, then a few USD meal may not be worth giving up your lunch period to supervise, and some ISs are really subtle about that. they make a policy that foood must be consumed in the main dining room, so while your not being required to supervise, your in the room with students.

2) Cheap good coffee is not a perk of the IS because its available in the city. Thats a perk of the region and location, not the IS.

3) I would agree that discount programs as you describe could have some real value and utility to an IT. The problems are that:
A) ISs with discount programs as you described are not different than the discount programs the IS with the everybody can get one discount card. These claims are not transparent, validated, etc.. They are self reported survey or advertising.
B) There is no penalty for misrepresenting these programs. They arent classified as comp. If an IS grossly falsifies such a perk, they cant rescind the contract. These benefit programs are rarely incorporated into contracts and are parts of policy that are typically subject to modification at any time without notice. If an IT was repped and wanted to rescind a contract for a discount program the premium agencies would likely laugh at you and consider you in breach and breaking your contract, and any future leadership or recruiter would likely write you off as a high maintenance diva.
C) You can use those vendors and merchants the same way you would one without that relationship. These vendors and merchants provide the discounts to the ISs as a relationship transaction. The merchant gets to affiliate with the IS and gain X amount of status or prestige, perhaps with some quid pro quo, but then the ITs interaction with that merchant begins to fall under the auspice of their IS. The IT pays their coin, is unhappy with the service or product any complaint or problems are going to get back to leadership.

When I start reading a a number of these perks in an advertisement, its usually because the comp is low.
sid

Post by sid »

I do appreciate a positive world view and the presumption that people are basically good and doing their best for themselves and others.
The OP seemed a bit het up about perks being listed that seemed pretty low value. Fair enough, many listed perks are truly pretty low value. They may even be indicative of an overall lower package. Or it could just mean the person filling in the form didn't understand the context, or sees perks different than you do, or got creative. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Buyer beware, of course, but I've not seen anyone sign a contract based on perks listed on SA, rather than on what the contract actually says about salary and such. It would be pretty silly.
A free lunch is a perk, whether you choose to eat it or not. (Lunch in exchange for duty or clubs or whatever, is NOT a free lunch. And I wouldn't claim it as such.) My school, for example, offers free lunch. We can eat it or not, wherever we want. But it is take it or leave it, and a few people leave it. They want less meat, more meat, spicier, blander, whatever - it's their choice. But the perk is real. Just like free gym membership is a perk even if you never go to the gym. Matching a 401-K contribution is a perk, even if the employee doesn't take it. The discount at the jewelry store at my other school was a perk, even though I never once shopped there. Some perks might be perks an individual does not want or use, but they are still perks.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

As the rmb continues to devalue and our school is unable to meet the devaluation with salary increases I would be thrilled if they looked outside the box and offered perks like a free lunch.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

Our experiences differ, most ITs when having competing offers have very little between those offers to differentiate themselves. Its often some minor perk or benefit that decides the overall acceptance.
A free lunch is not a perk if you dont eat the lunch. We disagree on the claim that an unutilized perk is still a perk.
Contributions to a 401K is not a perk, its comp. A health club membership is also comp. An IS allowing an IT to use the ISs athletic facilities or swimming pool is a perk.
sitka

Post by sitka »

They are a red flag, honestly.

Any school that feels the need to advertise probably doesn't have actual benefits to offer.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Having had 3 kids in school and now having 2 teens at home, free lunch is a big perk for our family. It saves a significant amount of money and saves time in making sure my kids are bringing enough food and that it's healthy. Our school provides home-made fresh food every day--fruit, vegetables, salad, 2 kinds of rice, beans, meat, and a vegetarian option. And dessert, also home-made. It's great and makes a difference in our lives!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Man, I would LOVE a free lunch like that.

The cafeteria at my school is terrible. Chicken nuggets, cardboard pizza, etc.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

I interviewed for a position at a school in China where the free lunch was touted by the Principal as a great perk but which has been confirmed in the reviews section here and in person to me by a former faculty member as being indescribably inedible. When a school pushes silly things like a free lunch as a perk you have to wonder why. With regard to the aforementioned Chinese school there were lots of other negatives to contend with that the free indigestion could not hope to compensate for.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

chilagringa wrote:
> Man, I would LOVE a free lunch like that.
>
> The cafeteria at my school is terrible. Chicken nuggets, cardboard pizza,
> etc.

If only my school's cafeteria would sell chicken nuggets and cardboard pizza....!
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

what about 'dress-up day' on Halloween!!! ;)

v.