> tied to both the local and the global economy. If the Chinese bubble
> bursts, thousands of Western teacher contracts, both within and outside the
> mainland, may not be renewed. Transient is the word often used to describe
> international school teachers' lives. If you can't increase your earning
> power, your 'some money in the bank' will be of little value and that
> requires thoughtful planning and investment. Unless you are a tenured
> public school teacher with prospects of some reasonable pension, ITs are
> not free from worries.

All of these things would have happened anyway, no matter who was in charge. The economy has always been boom and bust. If my employer one day calls me into the office and tells me my services are no longer required, I'll find another job. Stamping ones feet however, achieves little.

At any rate, there's no need to concern yourself with things that you'll never change. If this new president is crap at the job, so be it. If he's great, then fine. I'll take good things given by the government of the day happily, and try to minimise my exposure to their policies that negatively affect me. Realistically, that's all any individual can do, and getting oneself worked up or depressed over some guy who has been elected in a far away land seems a little bit of a waste of energy.

I didn't hear about Brexit until around 2 weeks after it happened too. Trust me, ignorance is bliss when it comes to politics.
fine dude

Re: Election Results

Post by fine dude »

@joe30
There is a heck of difference between being informed and being stressed. The former will avoid some unwanted troubles in the long run. People should understand the policies a candidate supports, not the persona or rhetoric. If a presidential candidate is pro-drug companies and let them freely price their products, then people are in a for a big shock when their insurance company refuses to pay their bills. These are all plausible scenarios and ignorant ones often don't realize and by the time they do, it's too late. Let me know how your job hunting goes when you hit 60s and employers tell you they can't get you a visa. Hope your 'some money in the bank' can come to your rescue.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Some people, you know, care about things happening in the world if it's going to affect the well-being of others.

Trump's presidency is going to have huge, widespread effects. For example, I have friends teaching in Mexico whose salaries have dropped in value in only two days because of the election's effect on exchange rates.
senator

Post by senator »

@Joe30

I like your point of view, man. You understand the world of International Education better than most on this site.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There will be impact, but not very much:

1) DE is still mostly local and regional education. Its the state BOE not the US DOE that causes the vast majority of woes.

2) While Trump wants to do away with the US DOE, and he may very well do that, it performs vital functions that some agency has to do. he may get rid of the DOE and replace it with something like "Department of Citizen Development" that has a division responsible for the DOEs functions, but someone has to dole out the federal funds and keep the books, and enforce the handful of privacy and EOE laws.

3) Most of the factors that cause changes in the IE labor pool are state actions. The last IE bubble was from the recession because salaries and positions were cut to accommodate reduced budgets. Trump says he wants a leaner government, which will likely be easier on state governments.

4) Many of the stump policies of trump if implemented would probably make teaching in DE easier. Abolishing common core, and returning regulation to local (municipal) control will probably make it easier on DTs. Less document production, and more flexibility/freedom in the classroom. It would likely increase the perception of performance while creating greater disparities in exclusion between students.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

PsyGuy makes an interesting point. If Trump gets his way public schools in the US become more relationship based between student and teacher and lest program based (i.e Common Core) and that would be very attractive to many teachers at home and abroad. So counterintuitively, it may actually make International Schools less desirable to high quality teachers and more desirable to knee-jerk liberal teachers who are just desperate to leave the US. Again, this would mean that the overall quality of international schools goes down relative to US independent schools.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

reisgio wrote:
> PsyGuy makes an interesting point. If Trump gets his way public schools in
> the US become more relationship based between student and teacher and lest
> program based (i.e Common Core) and that would be very attractive to many
> teachers at home and abroad. So counterintuitively, it may actually make
> International Schools less desirable to high quality teachers and more
> desirable to knee-jerk liberal teachers who are just desperate to leave the
> US. Again, this would mean that the overall quality of international
> schools goes down relative to US independent schools.

that's a fairly amero-centric observation.

v.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Well, going by what the President-Elect has been saying, I don't feel like a lot is gonna change. If he hires old-timers, we may not see that much of a policy change in education. He might act tough with illegals, though.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

While not directly related to Education, Trumps immigration policies are going to have the most significant change. he doesnt even have to actually do them, just scare immigrants to withdrawing their kids. Removing the immigration population from many of the border regions could collapse who DSs and vastly shrink districts.
An ESOL DTs would be really wise to explore adding additional certification endorsements, so that they can transition to other departments.

@vandsmith

Yes it is, Amerio-Centric ITs and ISs play a major role in dictating and influencing IE.
jschott

Post by jschott »

I expect two impacts to international educators as a result of the election of Trump:

1. There will be more teachers looking to "get out" and thus turning to international education as an option. Use me as a data point. Result: more competition for jobs.

2. The reputations of the United States and Americans as a whole, which have declined since the Bush years, will only get worse. Result: more reluctance to hire Americans, when other options are possible, justified by less demand for American teachers, especially at the university level. There was a time when America and Americans were seen as "in" and "cool." That time is gone.

All in all, not a good thing for American teachers in the international job market.
senator

Post by senator »

So will British teachers - since their country did a Brexit - also be looked down on?

Why do you children keep underestimating the U.S. and Americans? We have the same flaws as the rest of you, but at least we - amongst ourselves - acknowledge them.

NOBODY will leave the U.S. because of Trump. Even all of those self-centered celebrities and millennials who said they would are now keeping very quiet. Just foolish children talking to hear the sounds of their voices.

This election will not affect international education at all. Every school wants Americans, Brits, Canadians, and Aussies and always will.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

I cant concur, there will be protest expats mostly among social liberals of which some portion of them will be DTs, who will leave on principal.
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

If the new administration were to get into a trade war then some of the good jobs in China would disappear. Globalization is definitely slowing down, and if less companies are moving people overseas then we will have less international students. There may still be a lot of growth in local students attending international schools, but I know I like to work in schools with an international population. These schools tend to be the best places to work.