Health Insurance and U.S.

senator

Health Insurance and U.S.

Post by senator »

I've noticed that more and more schools are offering health insurance that excludes treatment in the U.S. (and sometimes Canada).

Will this be a trend for the future? If so, where will this put U.S. and Canadian teachers?
fine dude

Re: Health Insurance and U.S.

Post by fine dude »

US premiums will only get more expensive due to medical inflation and fewer residencies for prospective doctors. Some schools in south-east asia offer a temporary cover for teachers who travel during the breaks. Your best bet is to check with the HR Dept and understand the fine print of this temporary cover.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

That trend has been around for a long time, many corporate insurance plans had exclusions of any type of care in the US except for emergency care.
It hasnt effected US or CAN ITs, in the US its gotten better with the affordable care act and the extension of medicaid in many states. You head back to the US, apply, when the summer is over you leave, it costs you little if anything.
senator

Post by senator »

Yeah, and depending on the state you live in, pay a few to several hundred dollars. Much more if you have a pre-existing condition - up to 3 times more to be precise.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Thats untrue for medicaid. Its like $1 for generic prescriptions, $2 for an office visit and $4 for the hospital.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

As long as you are not in the country too long, you are ok. And honestly, wouldn't you rather go to Bumrungrad, Samsung, or some other hospital which is set up to service the full range of expat medical needs cheaper and much more pleasantly than in the US or Canada.

We aren't covered, but used the system on an emergency basis one year while on holidays and got reimbursed just fine.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

What does length in the country have anything to do with it? If you have no medical problems in a year but you have a major medical crises in 30 days of arrival, how does length effect affordability of medical care.

I dont see how another foreign insurance/medical program is going to be less expensive than something like medicaid> I would strongly encourage US ITs with access to the Medicaid program take advantage of it for planable medical care and treatment during the holiday and summer break.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

PsyGuy,

if you don't get the total world coverage (which many schools offer as an add on to you, provided you pay the full cost of adding it on, which can get pricey depending on the plan), you are STILL covered in the USA or Canada as a tourist. Tourist visits are usually limited under the terms of insurance to a period no longer than X, and X is often 30 or 35 days.

So while you can't get regular medical visits covered, if you are playing on the trampoline and break your leg, that emergency care cost would be covered.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

So your plan costs more and provides less comparable to something like medicaid. Not seeing how this is a benefit.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

No my plan covers much more than medicaid. It only covers me in the US and Canada on holidays though, for periods less than 35 days. If I am there on the 36th day and have an emergency, I've blown my coverage.