Developmental, two-way or dual programs?

BooBoo

Developmental, two-way or dual programs?

Post by BooBoo »

Are there international schools that are using a developmental, two-way, or dual language set-up? Not segregated bilingual where the classes in English are taught via English-only submersion or mother tongue programs that are after school or off on the peripheral edge.
sid

Re: Developmental, two-way or dual programs?

Post by sid »

Yes.
BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Thank you for the reply. Could you please provide a source for information about schools using these programs? I am interested in learning more about schools that use these programs.
sid

Post by sid »

There isn't really a single source. You can do a lot of web searches, checking out international schools and what each offers. Join various hiring agencies and read up on each school. Word of mouth if you have a personal network in international schools.
People here on this forum might be some help in compiling a list.
Are you interested in specific languages? That would help narrow it down.
BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Thank you or the response.

I am more interested in the general state of developmental, two-way or dual programs and what percentage of schools would be running these programs. Any guess?

Not specific about language other than English being one of them.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, though most of them are municipal ISs or they are non-western/English based ISs. Such as various Korean and Japanese ISs. Your best option would be to look at the overseas FS/lychee system and the German/Swiss ISs. These areas of IE get much less attention on the forum and in the recruiting circuit in general as ITs need to possess fluency in the L1 language to be considered for the position.

The easy route to start would be to use the IBO school search utility:

http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes/find-an-ib-school/

Select a language of instruction other than English (French, Spanish, Other) and any other criteria and then search. Matches will display what language of instruction they use, including multiple languages. Those that have multiple languages (often English and another) are going to be the start of your list.

A high concentration of these ISs especially in the EU are going to be municipal ISs.
sid

Post by sid »

I don't agree that most such schools are municipal, but it doesn't matter much. Some good searches will find the programs you're after. Be weary that some schools claim to be bilingual but really are just half time in one language and half time in another with no tangible link between the two.
BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

PsyGuy - Thank you for the leads. I was unfamiliar with municipal ISs.

Sid - Got it. Wary I be. Is there a term for such 'bilingual' programs?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@BooBoo

The names arent really important, hence the warning, its what is the IS doing and how are they doing it. Some of the designations you will find are:

Bilingual School
Dual (Language) School
Immersion (Language) School
(Language) Development School
(Language) Cultural School
(Language Intercultural School
_________ (Language) School

Add international in there and you double the list.