Where should I start?

kmb

Where should I start?

Post by kmb »

I have an M.Ed in ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) teaching, and I've been struggling to find a decent paying teaching job here in the United States. I've been seriously thinking about moving overseas and teaching there, but I'm really confused about where to start. My adviser offered help, but the website she directed me to was apparently full of scam offers and recruiters who wanted me to pay my way. I want to find legitimate schools that will offer a fair and generous wage to an ESL teacher. I would prefer a teaching job in Spanish or French-speaking countries, preferably European countries, but I'm also open to places like China, Japan, and Korea.

Keep in mind:
I do not want to pay money upfront
I want a legitimate position with a legitimate visa and full salary
I don't know if I need a TEFL certificate, but I'm willing to earn one if it would improve my job prospects. The material should be easy considering I already have an M.Ed in it.
kellyjoe

Re: Where should I start?

Post by kellyjoe »

kmb,

I would suggest you get a membership with a reputable agency: Search Associates, ISS and TIE are three that come to mind. Their membership fees are modest, but once you join, it will allow you to review the vacancies available in different parts of the world.

If you like what you see, upload all of your information (resume, Criminal Background Check, scans of your diplomas, etc.) This is a job in itself, but very important that it's done properly since schools registered with the agency you decide to use will be seeing it. Keep reading blogs like ISR, visit school websites and keep digging. There are thousands of schools out there. I suspect you'll find one that fits with the education you have now.

Best of luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, you are not a teacher. A DT/IT by IE criteria means having a professional educator credential, in this case in the field of ESOL. ISs will avoid you like poison, because there isnt any difference between you and every other ET with a college degree who is a native speaker and wants to travel the world. Within ESOL the only difference between you and all of them is your M.Ed qualifies you for direct hire appointments in a foreign Uni. Which means nothing in IE.
In addition to a professional educator credential the general bar to entry is 2 years post certification experience, while its possible to enter IE as an Intern class IT (full credential but less than 2 years post certification experience), which you dont have and being in ESOL everything youve done so far doesnt count.

Second, thats how the foreign ESOL market works, you pay your own way. There are lots of native speaking warm bodies with a degree, such that OSH benefits are very uncommon. Typically you get an LH package which is salary, insurance and transportation, sometimes you will get airfare, but usually at the end of the contract and its usually just your bonus. You have to fly yourself, arrange housing and the rest on your own and at your own expense.
Generous isnt what your going to find in IE even once you obtain a credential and get the requisite experience. The average IT salary globally is just under USD$30K, its enough to live decently, and depending on the local economy will allow you to live a high quality lifestyle. You dont find generous comp and OSH packages until you reach first tier ISs, and your looking at about 6 years on average in IE before you reach that level. In WE/EU you will make about 1500€ too about 1800€ on average and thats if your hustling and have steady lessons and students.

Third, France and Spain, you and everyone else, Mediterranean EU and WE regions are the most desirable (along with Japan) regions in IE. Lots of woman ITs dream of a life in France or Italy or Spain (blame Julia Roberts).

Fourth, Search Associates (SA) and International School Services (ISS) are the two big premium agencies in IE, and they wont accept you, they dont rep ETs. In addition there is about a $200 fee required at registeration, that you pay upfront.
Anyone can join TIE (USD$39), and TES as well as COIS are free (COIS wouldnt approve you for registration). You will get a lot of frustrations applying though, because you dont meet the definition of an IT in terms of eligibility.

Fifth, CELT and DELTA certificates (the gold standard in ESOL) are not considered professional educator credentials.

You have a few options:

1) You can stay in ESOL, there are opportunities and lots of them for ETs, and there are advantages over working in IE. You can get a CELTA/DELTA starting at around USD$2K, you could also get a professional credential from UT for about USD$200. You would have to do PD though to renew it, though you could add QTS and then allow the UT credential to expire.
Probably the best site for ESOL vacancies is Dave's ESL cafe, its free to browse vacancies, but understand the majority of opportunities will be LH packages, Asia (outside Japan) will have the better opportunities and there are lots of vacancies in China and SK, some of them include housing as well.
What is fair? Comp fluctuate a lot its not uncommon for a public Uni appointment to pay less than you would find at a private ES. There are a lot of factors that go into what is a fair offer.

2) You could obtain a professional educator credential. There are a couple options; Utah would issue you an entry level certificate upon passing the PRAXIS exam, but this credential is very new and has some recognition issues. If you have two years teaching experience you could apply for a CT entry level credential after passing the PRAXIS exam. This credential though while you could renew it for a total of 18 years, would eventually expire. Irregardless, you could use either credential and apply for QTS which never expires and allow the UT or CT credentials to expire.
After this you could either enter IE as an intern class IT, or you could remain in the US and build experience, though without a local credential from your state you wouldnt be able to teach in a DS.

3) You could pursue an EPP/ITT program. In the US you could enroll in a traditional Uni. prep program effectively completing a minor in Education or a Masters in Education and do student teaching. The other option is you could do a Post-Bach program at a college or Uni. and do an internship or student teaching, or you could do an ACP (Alternative Certification Program) these are offered by various third . organizations. The ACP programs tend to be the least expensive (about USD$6K) and a year long. The Post-Bach problems are also about a year long, but tend to cost more usually around USD$10K for instate tuition. The Full Uni program usually takes closer to two years, but youd get a degree out of it potentially, they are the most expensive due to their longer duration, usually around USD$20K and higher. They have different advantages and disadvantages. There are a couple ACP programs you can complete anywhere including overseas.
The other option would be to explore the avenues of getting QTS in the UK. You could enroll in a PGCE program at about a cost of £10K for the year, this would get you half way to a Masters and you would have NQT status, but potentially access to the various vacancies. Another option is School Direct sort of an apprenticeship, but ESOL isnt a huge market, the easiest would be the assessment only route, but it can be difficult.