Japan feasible?

mathsciencelady

Japan feasible?

Post by mathsciencelady »

I taught at an English conversation school in Japan back in the early '90s for 2.5 years and would love to go back as an IT. Wondering if Japan is difficult to break into?

Me:
BA Elementary Education K-8 Certified USA
MA Mathematics Instruction Elementary

Teaching Experience:
12 years in the classroom:
5 years regular classroom teacher (grades 3, 4,5)
3 years as Math teacher in US
4 years in UAE with ADEC Science Teacher Middle school (current position)

Family:
non-teaching spouse
15 year old son

Any and all comments appreciated. :)
Amusing User Name

Re: Japan feasible?

Post by Amusing User Name »

Most certainly feasible and in fact highly recommended, with your qualifications and experiences, I am virtually certain that you'll walk into an IT position. My current school has taken my (first grade) twins and my spouse is not a teacher. If I were you I would recommend applying to desirable schools sooner rather than later.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Japan is great and very doable. Financially you would really want to be at one of the top schools for the optimal experience but there a also a fair amount of schools outside of that that would provide a nice life in a great part of the world.

You might also consider DoDDS. With your certs you would likely get consideration should a matching opening come up (admittedly positions with DoDDS are generally rarer and harder to get into than int'l schools) and the package, benefits etc are top notch allowing you to really enjoy being here. Plus you have the option to shop on base and make use of their facilities (e.g. gym, movie theater, commissary, BX/PX, some medical, legal etc) if you choose to.
mathsciencelady

Amusing User Name wrote:
> Most certainly feasible and in fact highly recommended, with your
> qualifications and experiences, I am virtually certain that you'll walk
> into an IT position. My current school has taken my (first grade) twins and
> my spouse is not a teacher. If I were you I would recommend applying to
> desirable schools sooner rather than later.

Thank You for your response! Any recommendation as to which schools? I will take a look at the reviews and just start applying lol.

I did apply to the Osaka school that was on Search, just yesterday. I am hoping more schools will post vacancies. Any thoughts on when Japanese schools post their vacancies or which fairs they would attend?

Thanks again!
mathsciencelady

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> Japan is great and very doable. Financially you would really want to be at
> one of the top schools for the optimal experience but there a also a fair
> amount of schools outside of that that would provide a nice life in a great
> part of the world.
>
> You might also consider DoDDS. With your certs you would likely get
> consideration should a matching opening come up (admittedly positions with
> DoDDS are generally rarer and harder to get into than int'l schools) and
> the package, benefits etc are top notch allowing you to really enjoy being
> here. Plus you have the option to shop on base and make use of their
> facilities (e.g. gym, movie theater, commissary, BX/PX, some medical, legal
> etc) if you choose to.

Thanks for that idea. I will certainly look into that!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The JP of the 90s is not the JP of today. You may want to visit for holiday before deciding its where you want to live.

I dont concur with the previous contributors. JP is one of the most desirable and difficult markets to break into. Elite tier ISs can get a 1000 applications for a single vacancy.

Your issue is logistical factors, your a primary IT with a non teaching spouse and a dependent. Thats a hard sell to a recruiter to fill a primary classroom.

DoDDS is an option, its also one of the most competitive, though JP is considered a hardship location. Applicants wait years and never get an offer, though there are those who get hired their first time applying. You wouldnt be a very marketable candidate, many primary positions when they are available are filled by LHs or are reserved for LHs

Peak recruiting in IE starts in January and finishes in February, early recruiting starts in November, JP ISs are no different. However the local JP calendar is different. The school year starts in April, and September is mid year. The higher end private/independent JP DSs begin recruiting in September for April, though the OSH package for these DSs can be minimal or absent entirely.