Global Recruitment Collaborative, Dubai Fair

alexout

Global Recruitment Collaborative, Dubai Fair

Post by alexout »

Does anyone have any personal experience they could share about Global Recruitment Collaborative (GRC)? They're having a fair in Dubai this November and have an interesting list of participating schools, but I've never heard of them before.
http://www.grcfair.org
Thanks!
buffalofan

Re: Global Recruitment Collaborative, Dubai Fair

Post by buffalofan »

They started up a couple of years ago and I think ASB (Bombay) was the main school behind it. I didn't think they had a fair though. It's free for candidates, but the catch was that to join, you had to be working (or had previously worked) in one of schools in the GRC.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Unless you are a highly accomplished teacher, none of the top schools (ASIJ, NIST, SAS) listed on GRC might contact you. Same applies to the Dubai fair. November is a little early to hire those with less experience.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@buffalofan

My experience with GRC is similar to @buffalofan, it was a pseudo swap fair mostly for ME ITs to move up and through other ISs in the ME. You had to be an IT at one of them to be eligible for.

GRC is a "show fair", the first tier ISs are just there for show, several of them will cancel at the last minute and mostly its just collecting resumes and some face time. If you were local and going to BKK, you could leverage an intro into perhaps an interview at BKK, but those ISs are mostly there for prestige.

I concur with @fine dude unless you were a preferred candidate for early recruiting and the GRC was an advance meet and greet its unlikely to be productive.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Oh Dave, you're such an old phony. Why do have to pretend to have an answer for everything. You have no experience with the GRC Fair: 1) because you've never worked at any of the schools that belong to GRC; 2) because this is the first year there will be a GRC Fair.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

It looks promising, but you either have to be currently or previously employed by a school in its current database to join.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

lots of decent schools there and it does look promising for sure, i may even join up.
i'd be wary of how early it is but ive been previously hired in november with no issues.

best of luck

v.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

wonder if it would alert my current employer...........? maybe not such a great idea for me perhaps?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I hope someone who goes to the GRC fair can review it here. I would be interested to hear whether contracts are offered there.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Can only speak for my school, but I will be there with contracts looking to sign high quality teachers.

The fair was actually started for schools who value face to face interactions with candidates. There are over 40 schools signed up to attend and over 100 candidates already. Looking forward to the experience.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Walter still doesnt know what he thinks he knows, and is disingenuous. This is the first "fair" GRC is having but they have had various forms of recruitment events in the past. Its still a show fair.

I disagree with @vandsmith, there arent "lots" of ISs there is a handful of a few dozen ISs. There isnt even 50.

@Nomad is also disingenuous, every IS is looking for "high quality teachers", ever hear a recruiter say otherwise? No, you dont. Neither do you find any F2F fair or RE that doesnt value F2F interviews and discussions, ISS, SA, those are all F2F in person fairs, the recruiters valuing in person and F2F interviews.There isnt over 40 ISs, there is 36.

This is a show fair, a show fair is an event organized by a group of noncompetitive ISs, they invite prestigious ISs as shills or bait to increase the status of thei event and attract candidates. Take those elite and highly desirable ISs away and its a group of lower tier and hardship ISs that have difficulty getting candidates to their tables and dont even have it easy getting candidates to apply or interview virtually. Those elite highly desirable ISs get the IT in the door, and then when there arent any interviews or offers the candidate doesnt want to feel the trip was unproductive so they give the other ISs some face time.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Dave, Dave - have you discovered a new word? As I recall, "disingenuous" means fooling people by pretending to know less than you do. Never a sin of mine. Meanwhile, you fool people by pretending to know (much, much) more than you do.
This particular group has tried in the past to encourage what they believe to be schools of like quality to develop a kind of free flow of faculty from one to another and thus bypass the recruitment agencies. This is their first attempt at anything that would remotely resemble a "recruitment event". The main player is American School Bombay - hardly a non-competitive IS and certainly way beyond any realistic ambition you may have to rejoin the teaching profession.
But thank you for the chuckle you gave me: "...there is a handful of a few dozen..." is one of your best lines yet.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

vandsmith wrote:
> wonder if it would alert my current employer...........? maybe not such a great
> idea for me perhaps?

According to the GRC website, your Head of School is automatically notified when you sign up, and you are required to register with your school email address.

Probably not a good idea then if you are just looking to see what is out there...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes it is, you and the League of PsyGuy Nemises are disingenuous often, your "black list" rant is one of only many examples. I only post from experience or well trusted resources.

Thats bunk, if its meant as a swap meet among 'like minded' (im being generous and polite), than why invite all the non-regional ISs. They are shills. There has long been a regional fair in the ME conducted by SA, all the leadership in the ME has finally decided to do was formalize a pathway to save some coin and cut the middle-man. Which they have been doing for a long time through various conferences and other regional events, which are essentially recruiting events, this fair is just the current formalized move against the premium agencies.

We disagree on the definition of competitive, and what constitutes desirable in terms of an IS and location.
Still dont know what you think you know.

@vandsmith

Agree with @buffalofan, it will not be practical for you to keep this from your present IS and leadership.
GRC

Post by GRC »

Dear Colleagues,

I am the Coordinator of the Global Recruitment Collaborative (GRC); I am joining this conversation to offer some more insight into the Collaborative. The GRC’s online database and the World's 1st Face-to-Face-Fair in Dubai are the initiatives of about 90+ International Schools. and was born out of a desire to simplify the infrastructure and reduce the costs associated with recruitment. It’s just that simple!

To that end, several schools (at their costs) collaborated to set up the website, plan the fair and contribute towards building the database. Simply the Face-to-Face-Job-Fair in Dubai is just this: A location where schools come to hire and candidates come to be hired!

As of today we have:
• 40+ schools interviewing at the fair
• 225 candidates registered for the fair
• 330+ vacancies listed in the GRC database
• 245+ vacancies posted for schools attending the fair
• 50+ candidates coming from Non-GRC schools