What happens if...

Teach1010

What happens if...

Post by Teach1010 »

This is a rather morbid question that I'm sure none of us wish to consider, but I recently learned that a distant family member has been diagnosed with cancer and it has led me to question what I would do if the same were to happen to me while working abroad. My concern is not with the quality of healthcare available in other countries, but let's say (heaven forbid) one were to be diagnosed with a serious or terminal illness and wanted spend his/her remaining time at home in the States. At that point breaking contract with the IS would not be a consideration, but losing the insurance they provide I think would be a huge issue. As a relatively young and healthy individual, I am blessed to have little knowledge or experience with this type of situation, but, like all of us, my time will come, and as an aspiring career IT there's always the possibility that my time could come while I'm living abroad. I'm not afraid to live on my own in a country on the opposite of the world from my family, but for some reason I am terrified of dying in a country on the opposite of the world from my family. I guess my question boils down to what do you do for insurance if you get diagnosed with a serious illness and choose to break contract in favor of moving home to be with your family? Is there some type of catastrophic health insurance you should maintain to cover you in a situation like that? Again, I apologize for the not-so-pleasant question, but it could be important to consider.
senator

Re: What happens if...

Post by senator »

Nothing to be ashamed of. Dying alone in a foreign country is something that could terrify most people.

I think now that the U.S. - are you American - has Obamacare and pre-existing conditions cannot be used as an excuse to deny insurance, you could buy your own health insurance. It may cost more, but so what.

You might want to research what health insurance would cost you in your home state.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

Good question. My IS has a world-wide plan so I hope it covers me world-wide. Your current plan may cover you. You would take a leave of absence or medical leave. In the case of a long-term illness though--idk. probably depends a lot on your state. My home state is pretty liberal and has socialized medical care.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The vast majority of ISs only provide medical insurance to their active employees, or in some instances to retirees. While you could potentially go on medical leave. Most ISs only give you a few days to a couple weeks of medical leave, this wouldnt really apply to a chronic scenario, and not to one where you left the region.

Many international medical insurance programs do not provide coverage in the US and when they do they reimburse at what essentially would be the medicaid rate. You might be able to continue this coverage at your own expense depending ont he insurance contract and the region, but for all practical matters if you leave the region the IS will dismiss you, and gamble that having recently been diagnosed with cancer and out of the country you wont be able to sue them or adjudicate your rights.

Lets say you in an IS and your in an auto accident and break your back. You wake up in the hospital, and will begin to use your paid leave from your IS. You may have anywhere from 5-20 days in various types of leave. At that point you stop getting paid, and a whole, lot depends on where you are. Assuming the IS cant fire you (there are many Asian regions that have clauses in the contract that if you are medically unable to work after X period of time they can dismiss you). First, whats in your contract. You may not be getting salary but your still eligible for your health insurance and other allowances which may include housing. With a two year contract that could be substantial, it would at least afford you a place to live and your medical care. Second, look at your insurance policy it may include disability which would allow you to keep the utilities paid and keep you fed with enough left over for commuting. You may be watching a lot of television but you wont starve or freeze. Third, If you dont have those provisions in your ISs medical policy you may have social insurance options such as disability or unemployment insurance. This is important because especially in the EU you may have tenure after as little as one year.
If you have those options its possible you could return home while maintaining your housing, and everything else. You could then apply for medical insurance in your HOR.

In the UK/CAN/AUS you would be eligible for the social health care insurance program. In the US it would depend on your state an if you were eligible for extended medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

In general if an IT has an individual policy, its almost always a medical evacuation policy, which returns you home for long term care in the case of a catastrophe.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Speaking from experience...when my husband was diagnosed with cancer, we were working in China, but had just accepted jobs in another country. Both the Chinese school and the school in the new country (with a new insurance scheme) worked with us so that we could finish the treatment in the States. It was a bit of a challenge to get it all organized, but the timing and the schools' cooperation made it work.

We also know of 2 families (colleagues) who have children diagnosed with cancer. In both cases, one parent spent time in the States with the sick child while the other spouse finished the school year at their school. In both cases, the school worked hard with the families to make the transition to the next phase of their lives as smooth as possible.

In our case, we did have some time of worrying that the school that had just hired us could back out, or that we might not meet the visa requirements of the country (which were strict). We were grateful for the integrity and humanity of the schools that allowed us to make transitions as humanely as possible.