Expat Life in India

twoteachers

Expat Life in India

Post by twoteachers »

What can you tell me about living in India for an expat? I'm applying to two schools there. Some of my friends are saying that expats are treated badly there is that true? What can you tell me? All the forums I've seen and reviews don't mention this.
sid

Re: Expat Life in India

Post by sid »

It's a huge country. Hello us narrow it down a bit?
Also, what are you hoping for and/or fearing?
And do your friends have experience there, or are they passing on rumors)
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

One in New Delhi, and the other in Chennai.... seems like its not firsthand experience... Hence the post...
marieh

Post by marieh »

The only thing I've heard about Chennai from the people who work there is that they will work you to death and that your commute may be excessive (>1hr each way), depending on how close to the school your apartment is. Other than that, it seems like a lovely place.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

My question is not about the schools..pretty happy with that. I'm interested in knowing about how the local population feels about expats in New Delhi and Chennai...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends on your ethnicity and race. If you are white and from the west you will be fine in New Delhi. Brits get along easier as much of Indian culture and organization models various aspects of British culture. You would assimilate easier, but Caucasian westerners from US/CAN/AUS would be fine. Youd be treated at least F2F as upper class. Minorities would have greater problems.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I recently finished up a stint in New Delhi and never had issues with the locals. In general, they were quite friendly. Now, would you like to hear about the air quality?
That being said, AES is stellar and I am quite missing it.
Asv

Post by Asv »

I lived in Delhi for two years. 'Treated fine' is actually quite subjective. Yes, many people will probably consider you superior in a way, in many cases, and many may want to get to know you, hang out with you etc. However, it can be extremely unpleasant for a foreigner in the long run.

Expect people to stare at you creepily, if you are a woman or if you have a woman with you, tiresome negotiations every single time you want to take a rickshaw/taxi and be on the watch so that you are not cheated. If you see that you are being cheated, having to get into an unpleasant situation and lose you temper, or choose it's not too important and let it slide that time, both taxing in the long run. Unless you are in a modern mall or similar environment, people are at an overwhelming majority very rude. There is no concept of a queue when you go to buy something at a store, everyone pushes each other and tries to shove their hands over the counter. This applies to every aspect of life there, unless you are living tucked away in a high class residential area and never set foot outside without a personal car and driver.

It is not that bad for a while, but in my case it started getting on my nerves seriously after about a year.

Also, as far as I know and can tell, it makes little difference what part of India you are in. From what I have seen and heard, while in India, what I said above applies everywhere. The only exceptions are places like Darjeeling and Sikkim, where the majority of the natives are of quite different background and demeanor. But these are places to visit as a tourist.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ASV

I had a few solutions to some of the problems you identified; First, I arranged with various drivers by getting their contact information and making a deal for a modestly better fair that worked out to being an on call driver. It didnt always work out, but with two drivers it worked out most of the time. Second, I just arranged for delivery of most common goods though the little shop within the housing complex. Id stop at the shop in the morning with my list, they would give me the price Id give them the envelope of coin, and it was waiting at my apartment when I arrived. It didnt work for everything, I couldnt order bottles of spirits, but for the common stuff from bottled water too TP it worked well enough, and a number of items were right off the stores shelves or stock, so it wasnt grossly overpriced.