When to start the search for fall 2017 contract

TeacherGal

When to start the search for fall 2017 contract

Post by TeacherGal »

We're located in South America and our school does not give us days to attend a job fair. We'd like our next posting to be in Asia or Europe. Questions:

1. Which fairs should we attend?
2. When should we reactivate our Search Associates memberships?
3. Are there any other organizations we should join?

Thanks.
National

Re: When to start the search for fall 2017 contract

Post by National »

My thoughts on your questions:

1) Fair -- London - more European focus or Bangkok - more Asian focus (you need to be more competitive for Bangkok). Both fairs have schools from both Europe and Asia, so choose the one you are best suited for as far as competitiveness.
2) You should already have your Search membership activated. Schools are already posting some jobs and start to post in earnest starting in October. Invitations for fairs go fast, so you need to get your requests in now.
3) I think Search is enough, but I know others might disagree. TIE is a cheap option for a few additional schools not listed on Search.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

National wrote:
> My thoughts on your questions:
>
> 1) Fair -- London - more European focus or Bangkok - more Asian focus (you need to
> be more competitive for Bangkok). Both fairs have schools from both Europe and Asia,
> so choose the one you are best suited for as far as competitiveness.
> 2) You should already have your Search membership activated. Schools are already
> posting some jobs and start to post in earnest starting in October. Invitations
> for fairs go fast, so you need to get your requests in now.
> 3) I think Search is enough, but I know others might disagree. TIE is a cheap option
> for a few additional schools not listed on Search.
---------------------------
I would mostly agree with all of this. I would also throw in Cambridge as there are generally a large number of schools there which would include the two regions you are most interested in.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Answers below your questions:

1. Which fairs should we attend?

Whichever fair you feel is competitive, but won't take as much time off. Without knowing your experience (teaching area and years taught, as well as programs) it is tough to tell you which fair to pick. The top 3 fairs are BKK, LON, and BOS. However, if you go with ISS, they run virtual fairs that wouldn't take you away from work.

2. When should we reactivate our Search Associates memberships?

Now. Regulations and requirements have changed and it will take time to update. Remember you must have two admin references from your current job.

3. Are there any other organizations we should join?

I would look at ISS and TIEonline.

hope it helps!

shad
sid

Post by sid »

All that, and Schrole. It's gaining ground in Asia.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is you go to the most competitive fair you can get an invite for. These are in order BKK, LON, BOS, SFO. You dont get to choose the fair you want you need an invitation, which would be increasingly difficult the less competitive you are.

BKK is the tier 1 fair attended by the top ISs. Many of them finish their recruitment after BKK. LON is the 2nd tier fair. The second tier has a high concentration of IB ISs, and is more predominately EU ISs, as top tier EU ISs are just elite DSs within the region. BOS is the floater or upper third tier IS. SFO is the start of the scavengers in the third tier to do commence their recruiting.

You dont describe your resume sufficiently for an evaluation of your utility and marketability. Lots of ITs want to go to WE.

Peak recruiting starts in January and finishes in early February. Early recruiting starts the end of October, with many ISs requesting intent letters earlier with each year. The most competitive fairs fill in late October. When you should join depends on the fair you want to attend and how fast you can organize your materials. If you have everything scanned and ready to upload, the application maybe takes an hour. The most time consuming is the references, depending on how fast they respond. Lastly, it can take a week for your associate to approve your profile after receiving the registration fee. Registering in early October would be prudent if you want an invite to BKK.

Aside from a premium agency TIE is an inexpensive investment ($39), TES is free and has a lot of vacancies though mostly in BSs. COIS is another option they are much like the premium agencies with a similar process but they are more exclusive to EU ISs though they are no cost. If you were more interested in the EU then you could do well enough with COIS, TIE and TES, and go to the COIS fair in LON.

I would advise against registering with both ISS and SA.

Schrole isnt a jobs database they are an application management system for ISs that dont want the expense of deploying their own. Its not worth the fee to be a premium member, you can apply directly to these ISs through their HR/employment portal that will direct you to Schrole to submit your application.
TeacherGal

Post by TeacherGal »

Psyguy,

I'm surprised you would advise against joining SA. I thought that was the biggest organization. I'm also surprised about ISS too. Or do you mean you would join one or the other and not both?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherGal

SA is generally considered the largest when measured by number of ISs they represent, but many of those numbers are gained from having a larger concentration of lower third tier ISs.
Ive advised against registering with a premium agency in the past depending on the LWs scenario. Premium agencies generally provide suitable utility when an IT has a broad vacancy search.
In this particular case however, my intent was to advise against registering with both premium agencies, in effect choosing one or the other.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I have to agree with PsyGuy on this one. It is rarely beneficial to sign up with both SA and ISS, and it really depends on the individual's resume and goals as to which is better. For most candidates, SA is better.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

Are Western European schools hiring at Bangkok, or is it too early for most of them? I realize that in some EU countries than faculty do not have to let the school know of their intent - by law - until not so many months before the next year begins. Does this affect which is the best fair to go to if your focus is Europe.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

It is too early for some because local laws give workers more protections about when to give notice. However, out of courtesy and because they are looking themselves, teachers are going to know and often give notice. Therefore yes, most will be hiring on the normal timeline. However, if Europe is your target, you should go to London.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MartElla

Yes, all the upper tier 1st tier ISs will be at BKK, if you got an invite for this fair without additional information than BKK is the fair to go to. The labor scenario/situation doesnt really effect the ISs in the upper tier of the field because those ITs are doing job searches and they want to keep everything nice with their leadership, though its possible they could later not finalize their intent to resign/leave, for all practical purposes at the time of the BKK fair there are vacancies and ISs are recruiting. I strongly disagree with @Thames Pirate, as most of those upper tier ISs will have filled their vacancies before LON.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

We got an invite to BKK but wanted to end up in Europe. Our top choice was going to both BKK and LON, but we knew that more schools were in LON, so we opted for that in spite of the fact that BKK was more convenient for us. Our top choice school hired us (pre-fair). Now we are here, and I can say that pretty much all of the new teachers were hired in London.

The top schools in Europe will be in London, not Bangkok.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is you go to the most competitive fair you can get an invite too. As @Thames Pirate confirmed they were hired pre-fair, if youd waited too LON for the same vacancy it would already be gone.

1) If you have strong NC experience, especially in a private or independent IS, but no EU passport, the BKK fair is better, those ISS will arrange a visa.

2) If you have strong IB experience and no EU passport go to BKK if you have a performance record in DIP. If you dont go to LON.

3) If you have an EU passport and you are an average performing IT go to LON, if you go anywhere at all. You can just as easily stay home and grab on of the EU vacancies that pops up in May.

4) If you do not have an EU passport and are an average performing IT with no children, if its the EU or bust go to LON.

5)If you can stand the long game and are willing to spend a couple years (a contract) elsewhere to get inside the 1st tier network of ISs, go to BKK.

6) If youre an average performing IT, and no EU passport and children go to BKK, but be highly prepared to leave with nothing.

I and @Thames Pirate do not disagree so much in the fact that LON has a higher concentration of EU ISs, they beleive that LON is the Alpha and Omega in EU ISs, and it isnt.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Yes, we were hired pre-fair, but we didn't set up the interview until we were en-route (at the Keflavik airport) 2 days before the interview--AFTER the BKK fair. They didn't fill the position in Bangkok, even though it had been advertised back in late November (when we applied directly, mentioning we would be in London). In fact, several positions were open at that time, and they were pretty much all filled in London (I don't know how many were pre-interviewed).

1) This would be true if you were not targeting Europe.

2) London is marketed as the IB fair--it's tough to get an invite without IB experience at all, and even harder to be competitive (though of course we are proof that it can be done).

3) Yes, there are vacancies in May if you want to wait that long. There are more throughout the fall/winter, and the bulk of the recruiting is done in the normal hiring season. Go to London to increase your options and your odds.

4) Regardless of passport or performance or family, if it's EU or bust, go to London--either SA or CIS.

5) This is somewhat more reasonable, though of course there are plenty of good and even elite schools not in Europe going to London (WAB, Yokohama, etc.). In fact, there are more schools all around. So yes, you can play the long game at London AND you can play the Europe or bust game.