DoDDS Teaching

Teach1010

DoDDS Teaching

Post by Teach1010 »

I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered elsewhere in the forum, but I'm seeing a lot of posts about DoDDS teaching and my curiosity has finally been piqued enough to dig deeper into this option. First of all, I know they offer very good salaries but do these schools tend to offer the benefits that ISs do (housing, flights, etc.)? I have been able to locate the salary scales for schools in the US and Puerto Rico, but I have not found them for their schools in other parts of the world. Does anyone know if they are available somewhere? Also, how does the tax situation work? If you're an american working for a DoDDS are you subject to american income taxes, the host country's income taxes, both, or neither? Lastly, DoDDSs (to my knowledge) are not reviewed on ISR or ISC. Is there another website somewhere that offers the review-type information for DoDDSs that ISR offers for ISs? Do you just have to rely on the interview and word-of-mouth to know if you're applying for a school with decent administrators and a positive climate?
marieh

Re: DoDDS Teaching

Post by marieh »

You might want to start here: http://www.dodea.edu/Offices/HR/employment/teacher.cfm

I can't answer all of your questions, as it's been a long time since I looked into moving into the DoDDS system. I do seem to recall that you were on the hook for US federal and state taxes (better than paying European taxes), although this is offset in part by the salary increase you receive in some countries, as well as the housing allowance. Other benefits (tenure system, retirement, etc.) were excellent, but I know for a fact I am saving more money at my current job and have more opportunities for paid PD. I can also attest to the fact that it is an INCREDIBLY difficult system to get in to.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, DoDDS offers a very high OSH package. You receive LQA (Living Quarters Allowance) which provides for your housing and utilities. While not lavish it is very generous. You also are eligible for TQSA which provides you a place either on the base motel or in an off property hotel until you find a place when you arrive.
You will be provided full airfare for you and your dependents, you will also receive round trip airfare between contracts (RAT). DoDDS will ship up to 18,000 lbs (9 tons) of HHG or place them in storage at government expense.
In addition to salary, you receive other potential allowance such as Post Allowance, Locality Pay, and Post Differential (COLA is being phased out). You may also take an advance interest free of three months salary when you arrive.

The public salary schedule is available online: www.dodea.edu/Offices/HR/salary/dodds.cfm

You pay US income tax just as anyone else would on salary but your allowances are generally deductible. The SOFA exempts you from foreign income tax in the host nation unless you earn income in the host nation. You still pay VAT, consumption taxes and other taxes. Your utility bills will include taxes, etc.

No, not really there is a FB group and Teachers.Net has a DoDDs group, but they recently changed the format and a lot of the major contributors have left. There isnt much to review, your either a Gnome or a Unicorn. There are a lot of DoDDS ITs that are just in it for the comp.

The leadership runs the entire spectrum and senior leadership regularly rotate around to various ISs within the system.

The interviews are all done by phone.
BentoBeth

Post by BentoBeth »

I'm just curious...when applying for a DODEA job they ask for Praxis scores. As a Georgia certified teacher I took a GACE test,not a PRAXIS. Does DODEA accept state specific certification tests or do I need to take the PRAXIS?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@BentoBeth

DODEA does not accept state specific scores or assessments. Since you hold a professional teaching certificate from a US State (Georgia) you are except from the PRAXIS requirement.
BentoBeth

Post by BentoBeth »

Excellent! Thank you!