What sort of job could I get?

alet3233

What sort of job could I get?

Post by alet3233 »

If I were to get a teaching certificate through the teacher ready program along with my BA in Economics what sort of job at an international could I get? Schools I would like to teach in are in Colombia or Russia. Could I get a decent job at these places with just a BA and teaching certificate with no full time teaching experience other then the week in the teacher ready program?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is there is a job for anyone if you will take anything. In general the bar to entry as an entry class IT is 2 years post certification education experience. Having less than that, but still post certification is an intern class IT. The forums major contributors are at general consensus that spending 2 years post certification in a regulated DS in your HOR is the best pathway. Your problem will be that without any experience you might be waiting a very long time for a vacancy at a DS since social studies DTs (of which economics is) is over saturated, and unless you can coach or you can teach Maths you could be waiting for a very long time to get that 2 years of post certification experience.

What you could find is widely variable. You could go to the SA intern fair at BOS and be one of the fortunate ones who gets a full intern package to one of the upper tier ISs in a desirable location. You more likely would find some bottom 3rd tier IS in a hardship location. Places like LCSA where salaries are low or somewhere in the ME or a local DS/IS in an Asian region like China, Vietnam, Myanmar, etc..

Economics isnt in great demand but its not over saturated. You would likely need to combine it with business studies or social studies to be marketable and you would have to anyway as FL does not have an economics certification option, you would need business education (6-12) and social science (6-12) to be marketable, thats a lot of material thats not economics. You will likely find yourself with a schedule that does not include any economics, but lower secondary history/social studies with maybe a business course. Economics is usually a school leaving level course, they dont generally pot noobs in at that level, until they have had a couple years figuring out how to teach and manage a classroom (hence the two years post certification experience).

The week of field experience in Teach Ready isnt full time experience its supervised field experience, and a week of anything doesnt count.