No Need for Car

Thames Pirate

Re: No Need for Car

Post by Thames Pirate »

Obviously asking for more information and giving an informed answer makes a woman an arrogant loudmouth in your book, too? Surprise, surprise that the two of you would attack me personally on a thread in which I simply stated that to give the OP what he wanted, we would do better if we have more information. I get that you don't like me, but there is no need to derail the thread.

So go ahead, joe and Oz. Tell us which schools meet the criteria. Give us a list.

I stand by my statement. To be thorough, we need more information. Otherwise all we can give is cities that might work. I gave a handful and some information on a few schools that did not meet the requirements despite being in the cities mentioned (ASP, possibly BIS). I am happy to do more if I have more information.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, and thank you buffalofan for corroborating what an important lifestyle choice this is, one that many don't consider at all.

Thames Pirate, I did not give more details because at this stage of my career, this is my only priority. Not school quality (they all pretty much stink) nor country (Europe is not as great as you think), nor pay (I rather make less and have the freedom to walk everywhere for my health!). This clearly makes things too hard for you Thames Pirate. I worry about your students. It's like you are intentionally loquacious for attention. We all understand how happy you are and what an expert you are on Europe, etc. Enough. If you can answer, thanks. If you can't don't go into a whole monologue about it. It's just not likable.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

@Thames Pirate

It was you who first brought up the 'you're only saying this because I'm a woman' angle.

You're extremely entitled, bossy, and full of yourself. You think that somehow your opinions are more valid because you're not a man.

@OP

I agree Europe isn't great (largely because people like Thames Pirate make up a frightening large amount of the population). Most large cities in Asia have good public transport, and of course any school that provides housing allowance rather than housing can be made to be within walking distance (just pick an apartment near your school). I'd have a look at schools in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, Beijing etc.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

You wanted a list of ALL the schools to which one could walk. Sorry, but that is not a reasonable request. It's great that this is your top priority. That is up to you. It still leaves the list far too long to reasonably narrow down, so I was hoping for some secondary priorities. I was trying to be helpful in offering cities that could work, but apparently that wasn't what you wanted to hear (ironically, it was fine when other people only listed cities).

Yes, I personally love Europe. Yes, I understand it isn't for everyone. You asked, and I pointed out that your one criterion was met by a large percentage of ISs on an entire continent without ruling out other places outside of Europe. So if this is your priority, Europe would be a logical place to look. If you do have secondary priorities, please share so we can give you a more helpful answer. Otherwise, my answer was in line with your question--a broad question got a broad answer. However, I understand that you do not want my help because of some personal issue. I will keep that in mind in the future.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Any school within walking distance, with the proviso Tedious Pirate does not work there :)

p.s. Female (in the classical sense) is my favourite gender.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I would discount ISB and WAB in China. You might be within 10-15 minutes house to school, but they are out in the 'burbs, away from a lot of conveniences, esp. in the cold weather. You could get by with a Vespa and taxi into the city, but it's more spread out than you might think.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

ASF in Mexico City fits the bill, but NOT Greengates.

Many of the schools that I know of in Central American capitals do have public transportation but it can be very dodgy so a car would probably be needed.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

mamava wrote:
> I would discount ISB and WAB in China. You might be within 10-15 minutes house
> to school, but they are out in the 'burbs, away from a lot of conveniences, esp.
> in the cold weather. You could get by with a Vespa and taxi into the city, but
> it's more spread out than you might think.
------------------------
It would depend on what your priorities and interests are. They are in the suburbs but I can't think of too many conveniences that you cannot get right there (e.g. restaurants, Western style groceries, malls, the airport etc). It is true that for the better night life, certain restaurants, the Forbidden Palace etc. and the big counterfeit markets you would be a 45 minute taxi ride away but for many people those would be more like weekend activities.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

MKIS in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia