Data in the international classroom

helloiswill

Data in the international classroom

Post by helloiswill »

As the early stages of the recruiting season is just beginning, I have begun to think about some strengths I could hit upon during interviews or conversations with school admin and recruiters. The use of data in my classroom to differentiate students and drive instructions is a tool I have used with great success with my students here in the US. For example, I always begin lessons with something called a "do now" and end with an "exit ticket" to measure student content mastery. I take these snippets of data and combine them with grades from more formal assessments and get a very detailed map of what my students as a class and individuals need. I can then differentiate or loop back on concepts students need remediation with. My current school uses a program called Mastery Connect. I think this is somewhat of a new movement in education here in The States because many of the newer teachers, like myself, tend to advocate and use this system with much more fidelity than some of our more veteran colleagues. I know my current school hired me because I mentioned "data" and several references vouched about how I used it in my classroom. FWIW I'm an ESL teacher and I work with six 4th grade classrooms. So, differentiation and being "smart" about what classrooms I am in and which students I am instructing is crucial.

So, what I want to know is... has there been a recent movement for data use and collection in your IS's? And more importantly for me, do you think my experience and strength with data in the classroom is something I should mention when speaking with recruiters?

Thanks
fine dude

Re: Data in the international classroom

Post by fine dude »

That's a good thing, but just one piece of the puzzle. Schools would be more interested in your EAL pedagogical strategies that would make the curriculum more concrete to the learners and how you differentiate between beginners and advanced learners: collaborative activities, modelling, scaffolding, using graphic organisers etc. and showcasing this evidence to the administrators.

Having a master's or being enrolled in one can put you ahead of others, too. Ultimately, it comes down to your credentials, years of experience, and the quality of schools you worked at.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It sounds very SOTA, but leadership will only superficially care. You have an internal, holistic, observational assessment and objective, its just classroom management from the leadership perspective. Data doesnt drive instruction in IE, the curriculum does, one of the authenticity issues in IE is that the experience provided by the IS matches and prepares students closely with what would be expected and anticipated at a DS would be. Most overseas parents dont want new and experimental, they want traditional and recognizable. Host nationals would probably be concerned and worried if you did something out of the expected norm.

What are you going to do with this data? Your assessment and data might also be troubling to leadership and parents, scores and data are very serious and important. You call it checking for understanding but what does that mean then if a student doesnt pass the check of understanding. Are you going to report this to parents? Some parents, tiger moms will flip over this.

Lots of ITs and ISs have Pop.Ed programs for data driven differentiation, content mastery.

Id mention it, Id actually talk about it considerably, not because it will be epic to a recruiter but because 1) You seem very enthusiastic about it, and that positive energy will carry though into other parts of the interview. 2) Your understanding and proficiency with it will give you confidence, and that confidence will diffuse through the other parts of your interview.

There has been a trend of "data" and datat driven models of education and instruction for a while. Its nothing new, and data is more something the AP/VP/DP for academics is concerned about. ISs care more about performance on external assessments, if your program improves that and you can sell it, theres some utility in it, otherwise all you have is a database no one cares about.

I concur with @fine dude, your performance skills in the classroom and efficacy and effectiveness of your instructional program are far more valuable and relevant to a recruiter.
helloiswill

Re: Data in the international classroom

Post by helloiswill »

Great advice guys.

@psyguy "What are you going to do with this data? Your assessment and data might also be troubling to leadership and parents, scores and data are very serious and important. You call it checking for understanding but what does that mean then if a student doesnt pass the check of understanding. Are you going to report this to parents? Some parents, tiger moms will flip over this."

If a student doesn't show mastery of a topic or CCSS I can respond in several ways depending upon how many other students showed similar results. If it is a class-wide trend, I will loop the topic as a whole-class lesson. If only a few fail to show mastery of a concept, I can work with them in a small group. But data isn't all about finding students who are lagging, it can also help me target students who are "high=fliers" and would benefit from enrichment. In the state parents have been pretty receptive to me sharing data with them, positive or not. However, I would keep in mind that this might need to be done more carefully in certain cultures... I made a few mistakes during my first year teaching at a "cram-school" in Taiwan that I don't wish to repeat.

My big take-away from your advice is that I should talk about this because it is something I'm confident about and passionate. I think that will at the very least come off as professional. I'm pretty young, so I want to show off my experience as much as possible during the interview process.

I'll be posting more questions throughout the winter I'm sure.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@helloiswill

Thats a very non-adverse response, I would absolutely put it in your can. It has a lot of diverse uses during an interview. You could even use it as a theme for your portfolio. Get another one or two themes and you will be set.