2017-2018 Recruiting

b12r

2017-2018 Recruiting

Post by b12r »

The next school year recruiting season is upon us, roughly. This will be my first recruiting process and I have just recently became an active member of Search. Very excited and remotely optimistic I will land a desirable job for the next school year.

I am curious, though, when do job for the next school year really begin to pop up on Search? I am a SPED teacher so my current position matches are SPED/LD and Resource jobs. As of now there are a few but most seem like last minute hires for the 2016-2017 school year. I do see a few start dates for July/Aug of 2017 though.

Lastly, I have read several threads regarding contacting schools. There seems to be somewhat of a mix about contacting school via Search or through their website. In your opinion, which would be more appropriate. My gut is telling me to contact through Search since I am paying for the service. I feel like school will see how serious I am since I have jumped through several hoops to join the IT field already. I have read though to find the vacancies on Search and then contact the school via their website. When contacting school, do I simply send a Cover Letter to them expressing my interest like a normal job on Search?

Any other advice for a newbie you might want to share?

Thanks for the help and advice. I have gained a TON of knowledge form this website and value each response! Happy Recruiting!
reisgio

Re: 2017-2018 Recruiting

Post by reisgio »

Many positions are already posting for 2017-2018. They have been posting on Search since as early as March, but most appear between July and November. Admin positions usually show up first and then others in descending order of leadership. This week alone, my positions on Search have had daily updates on multiple continents. Good luck.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I would add that it is better to follow the directions of the individual schools in terms of contacting/applying, but absent those I would go through the website, not Search. They may get dozens of emails via Search each day, and you are less likely to be lost in the mix that way.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

For teachers, the openings will really start in October with the vast majority being posted in December. Having said that, some schools have already posted some.

The contract renewals dates are getting earlier and earlier, with many schools now offering bonuses to teachers who let the school know early that they will be resigning.

Thames advice is good. Write a short customised letter of interest and send it directly to the school to apply. In the letter, let them know you have a file with Search.

You should do well, SPED teachers are always in demand.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

If it was a school I was really interested I would apply through Search and if I didn't hear anything back within a week (usually the case) I would apply through the school's website. It can't hurt and might put your name in front of someone at just the right time.

As I recall October is when many admin types will consider this school year well started and turn their thoughts to next year. Also, many positions cannot be truly recruited for (beyond the dreaded tentative opening) until teachers have made their decisions about returning or not. There are many, many SPED/LS positions open every year at a wide range of schools and locations so you should just fine.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In general, recruiting season for ITs begins around early November. Most ISs require their intent letters in October, allowing them to identify their recruiting needs. Early recruitment for superstar ITs starts anywhere from 18 months in advance to they typical start of recruiting. Leadership vacancies usually are posted earlier in August, usually around the time leadership is secure in their position for the current academic term.

Always follow the directions in the ISs advertisement, when you identify a vacancy through SA, you will want to go to the ISs employment website and see if there are any special requirements to submit with the application packet.
When you apply through SA what you are doing is creating a message that gets sent to the IS by email. Included in that email is what ever you included in the message, and a link for the IS to access your profile. The IS doesnt get the actual materials, the IS has to follow the link, login, and then when they access your profile they have to do something with it such as print it or save it as a PDF, and then file and organize it in some fashion.

Sometimes ISs will use a different email address for premium agency applications, in which case you can apply through SA, and include in your message that you will followup with a direct application packet.
Paying for the service means nothing, the value is access not convenience, by applying only through SA you pass on responsibility and duties to the IS to obtain and organize your application. At the screening stage its often delegated to a member of the office staff or a junior member in leadership.

When applying directly for a vacancy you provide what is in the vacancy announcement or advertisement. Always follow the directions in the posting. If some of the requirements arent practical or something you dont want to provide or complete for whatever reason, you can determine if compliance/non-compliance is worth it to you.

I would avoid over reliance on cover letters, the body of your email message should be considered your first point of impact. Dont make it to long, a paragraph highlighting your top 3 points and advantages is sufficient. An ITs resume is comprised of essentially 3 things (in order or utility): what you have taught (experience, performance scores, etc.), what you can teach (degrees, credentials, etc.), and special skills that are marketable.

Format your resume and documents for A4 paper.