Is this a red flag to recruiters?

sid

Re: Is this a red flag to recruiters?

Post by sid »

If you've only got another 2 or 3 years before your final move, I suggest staying where you are. A 5-year stay at your current school will put you in a much better position to land a plum job in the plum locations you mention, compared to doing another short hop. Plus you'll save the considerable expense and hassle of moving to a new country and establishing yourself at a new school.
If you do move now and then again in 2-3 years, do not be surprised if quality schools are hesitant. You need to set yourself up for that final position now, by making yourself as attractive as possible. I'll admit I don't know anything else about what you bring to the table, but your history of short stints is not serving you well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Nomad68

I concur with @Sid, the reasons dont matter much, your resume either warrants an interview or it doesnt. You will likely be asked why but its more a filler question that just moves the discussion along. It would be unusual for a response to be disqualifying and a sane IT wouldnt give such a disqualifying response.

Where I disagree with @Sid is that there is no reason to stay an IS longer than your contract, as long as your performance was successful and your reference positive, there is no reason to stay longer than needed. The list of reasons and rationals that are acceptable is extensive. Your more likely to be asked why your leaving after a longer tenure, under the presumption that you were happy, and something most have made you unhappy.
The idea you have to stay 3 years instead of two or 5 years or whatever is just a strategy of lower tier leadership to reduce turnover.
Nomad68

Re: Is this a red flag to recruiters?

Post by Nomad68 »

@PsyGuy
Many thanks for the reply (and for your replies to my previous posts).