spouse art certified

jboeh2

spouse art certified

Post by jboeh2 »

I am currently working in an IS and recently discussed with my wife about her becoming art certified. Looking briefly, I read that Teach-Now is a plausible option. She does have about 2 1/2 years in an art academy in the Netherlands, though she never completed this program. Without a Bachelor, would the 9 month program through Teach-Now fully certify her to teach in an International School? She would most likely have the opportunity to do her field experience here at my current IS.

Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

No, you need a Bachelors degree to be eligible for the vast majority of certifications whether its the US, UK, AUS, CAN. Teach Now wouldnt accept you into their program without a Bachelors degree.

There are some jurisdictions that offer career/technical credentials (CTE) that include various aspects of fine arts. These credentials generally require a HS diploma or equivalent and a number of hours/years of experience in the profession. They are usually limited in duration, and generally arent renewable past a certain point.

CA offers a 3 year preliminary credential, but your spouse would need to complete an EPP to transition to the CLEAR credential, however your spouse wouldnt have to complete a Bachelors degree or field work experience. Other states either dont recognize visual arts as a CT field, require a bachelors degree, must be sponsored by a local employer, or their credentialing requirements are no more advantageous than CAs.

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl888.pdf

Your spouse could then try to apply for QTS, and if granted they wouldnt need to continue towards the CA CLEAR credential.

Even if she were to get a credential she would have a very difficult time getting a visa or work permit as an educator without a Bachelors degree. In all likelihood your spouse would have to apply for some form of artist visa, or a dependent visa. Even if she were to get a visa, your spouse wouldnt be a very attractive candidate to an IS on their own merits. There are plenty of art ITs with full degrees, usually when an IS makes an exception to their degree requirements its a local and for a very esoteric/niche specialty (Japanese dance, etc..) Your spouse would be employable in practice only in so much as a position for them was contingent on them appointing you (youre a package deal).
jboeh2

Re: spouse art certified

Post by jboeh2 »

@PsyGuy,

Thank You, I got the same response from Teach Now. That rules out that for now.

Many Thanks