A good Masters

joe30

Re: A good Masters

Post by joe30 »

@PsyGuy

I wouldn't take years off work to do a masters. I'm talking about a cheap distance learning type course, where you can do full time work (and thus be getting the years of experience in and a salary) at the same time as your MA.

There's plenty of distance learning MA Ed Leadership courses in the UK for $7000 or so. They take two years, and are designed for those with job commitments who cannot take time off work. If you get one of those, you're are 'MA' level teacher, and in most schools that's going to recieve a couple of thousand $$$ salary bump, which more than pays for itself over a normal working lifetime (but the ROI is much better in your 20s than your 50s, obviously).
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@joe30

Probably, $7K with no losses, assuming you stay in IE for 5-10 years depending on the IS you wont have a problem making that back. Id still advise that the focus of the Masters be on something like counseling, librarian, administration or technology.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

MA Educational Leadership should be decent enough to access the Hod/assistant head/headship roles - which is ultimately where the most money can be made. I agree just getting a genetic MA in Education isn't the best route to take, but there's distance learning MA Ed. Leadership courses too.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

I'm trying to decide between an MA Applied Ethics and MA Educational Leadership. One is in my teaching subject and super interesting while the other sounds boring af and is being considered purely because I don't know what I will want from my job in 10 years.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

My opinion is go with the one that's 'boring af' but might have you earning more in 10 years. Then use that extra money to enjoy your life outside work.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Yep, that's definitely the smart choice. I'm only 4 years into teaching though and I'm not sure I see myself as a 'career teacher' - not sure I'll hit 10 years honestly
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@s0830887

While you may think that applied ethics is super interesting it could turn out to be boring depending on how it is taught and delivered. Masters degrees are no longer academic preparation but field entry degrees, they get you into a job or career field. Id hold off on the Masters until you have a better understanding of your career direction, if you leave education the Masters in Education wont be of much use, and unless your doing a doctorate in philosophy or a laws degree, applied ethics isnt going to do anything for you.
An MA in Applied Ethics is likely a Uni departments attempt at raking in some operational funding for the philosophy department or whatever school/division the program is out of.