Re: European Pensions

Post by joe30 »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> I am a competitive athlete and not at all overweight

Hammer throw, right?
marieh

Post by marieh »

Thanks for trying to get this thread back on topic, senator.

//So, what do career IT's do/what's their plan/ for the end of their work careers?

Our plan is to save up as much money as possible so that we can live off of dividends/investments. For our lifestyle, this translates to about $40,000 a year in a developing country. This means we need to save $1 million before we can retire OR we need to look at doing the last 5+ years of our IT careers in a place that will allow us access to a pension system. Honestly, I'm not sure if the latter is ever going to happen, so right now we're just hoarding money by working in questionable locations. Perhaps in a few years we'll be able to comfortably work in a place like Germany or Switzerland but I'm not counting on it.

//Or is the common belief that most teachers don't know how to manage money - as stated by one IE school head at a Search job fair - actually true?

From what I've seen of my coworkers and others in the international community, there is definitely a grain of truth to this. I have met numerous teachers who blew their income on vacations and other material goods and are now bemoaning the fact that they have no money for retirement now that they're in their early/mid 50's. This is shocking to me, since I know for a fact that many of them worked at schools earlier in their careers that would have allowed for a decent savings rate. Then again, everyone has different priorities in life. Mine just happens to be early retirement.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Oh, pension contributions in our country can be cashed out or collected from abroad (depending on myriad factors). And the pension scheme is pretty good. And if you can't retire on 15K savings early in your career, you are probably not investing it well. Plus being vested in the US, it adds up (and I wasn't counting our regular investments that we put aside). No, we won't be millionaires, but we will be able to retire before 60 and live fine.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Joe, did you see the Olympic gold medalist in shot put? Sells makeup professionally, runs a private company, and is a world class athlete. Is she feminine enough for you,or does she not stay in shape? I don't hammer throw or lift weights (except as part of my regime), but those women are in shape. You don't want in shape or taking care of yourself. You want thin and quiet.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

I don't follow the shot put, but a quick google suggests you're referring to somebody called Michelle Carter. A look at her pictures tells me she's huge, not femenine at all, and certainly wouldn't be the look I'd be after in a potential girlfriend.

If you want to see what 'in shape' looks like, take a look at some of the women who compete in gymnastics, or the womens hockey teams. Those are in shape women, not some landwhale who shovelled food into her mouth so she can throw a piece of metal a long way down a field.

It's quite clear you feel threatened by slim Asian women as you wouldn't stack up favourably against the competition.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

So we're clear you don't actually care about fitness or taking care of oneself. You only consider someone feminine if they meet your physical ideal because being a woman is about looks.

You may want to invest in a dictionary if you think a certain look = feminine.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

@ chilagringa

Why is it so scary to you that people who have different opinions teach children?

Do you think you should only be allowed to teach if you have the 'correct' opinion?

Just because a teacher has a personal preference for particular type of adult relationship, I fail to see how this would impact on teaching young people.

The fact that you have conflated the issues is disturbing to say the least.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

@ TP

fem·i·nine
ˈfemənən/
adjective
having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with women, especially delicacy and prettiness.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

I don't really have a lot to say here except, am I the only one that has had an easier time landing expats wherever I am rather than locals? I teach in Asia now and I've always found it easier connecting with expats than with locals (believe me I've tried).
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Back to the original post. Here is what I would tell a newbie venturing into international teaching.
1. Work your way up to an elite/tier 1 school in east/south-east Asia, preferably by early thirties.
2. Find love in a math/science/modern language teacher.
3. If your goal is a huge nest egg, continue working in Hong Kong, Malaysia,Thailand or Singapore and invest in a private pension plan.
4. If you are in your early fifties and sick of fraud, pollution and heat in Asia, and you want a relaxed lifestyle with clean air, trusted healthcare, and a small pension in addition to your 20-year or so savings from Asia, aim at elite schools in Switzerland (IS Lausanne, Geneva IS) or the Netherlands (AS Hague).
5. If you are not so money-minded and you want a balanced lifestyle, move to one of those elite schools mentioned in (4) by early thirties and contribute to the public pension plan for 30-35 years straight.

Regret is like a shadow. There is no escaping it. Whether you stay in Asia or move to W.Europe, you'll definitely regret that you missed on something, be it health, savings, dates etc.

Eventually, it all comes down to how much of your free time you allocate to planning your career and managing the money. Some are too committed to their profession and don't bother about investing their hard-earned resources. I have seen friends who postponed investing year after year, but they never rescheduled their extended vacations nor took a personal day to sort that important financial matter.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

@ chilagringa

Could you please explain to me how my personal preference for femininity in a woman is 'anti-feminism'?

Are women who have a personal preference for masculine men anti-male?
senator

Post by senator »

Ok.

So where would be the best place to do your last 10 years to:

a. get a pension

and

b. screw the pension and save and invest on your own?

I never really found Saudi Arabia that great a place to save compared to China or other Asian countries?

Do any of the CA or SA countries have a pension plan?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Mexico has a decent pension system, but only if you contribute for a long while (25 years? 30? Not sure.) There's also decent public healthcare but only really if you speak Spanish. (That's a lot of "but onlys")
marieh

Post by marieh »

Are there any places that will give you a pension with less than 10 years? Ideally 5 or 6?
Lastname_Z

Re: Reply

Post by Lastname_Z »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yes the UK pension program is pretty bad, its not anywhere near generous.
>
> There was a topic in another forum that we did the math on for Switzerland,
> at $100K salary and only 10 years your looking at a pension of $1500/month,
> and you can find similar in several NE regions.
>
> Its not mediocre in some regions (well its mediocre, but its livable), and
> as I discussed in that previous post, there is a lot more to a pension than
> the coin, its medical care, housing assistance and other social insurance
> programs. Those benefits arent available elsewhere, Asia isnt going to take
> care of you. If youre at an elite IS you have the salary, and some fast
> savings potential, and when your hitting the end of your career you want to
> maximize your savings and that means somewhere where you can get a pension
> and not go bankrupt when you find out you have cancer, or need a new hip
> replacement, and thats those EU regions that have the really high taxes.

This thread only seems to be relevant to a few teachers, specifically those from the US. In many other western countries (at least Canada, Australia and the UK for sure) there is a solid pension system that provides solid healthcare (if lacking coin). I would think teachers from those countries can just save lots of money abroad in China or the Middle East and then retire in their home country. It doesn't really seem like it's necessary to go to Europe for a pension.