European Pensions

Thames Pirate

Re: European Pensions

Post by Thames Pirate »

A woman can be independent and fierce and still be feminine. She can be strong and express her opinions and still be feminine. However, that is threatening to guys like you, so you call us bitter and say it is unattractive--as if appealing to an insecure man is important to a woman.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

You're right, you don't sound at all bitter ;)

Btw Asian women can be feminine, yet not 'subservient'.

There also tends to be a lot less overweight women in Asia.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Why do I need to be bitter? I am happily married to a guy who values me for my outspokenness and regardless of what my weight is now or in the future. The reality is that shallow people like you need to tell themselves that people like me are bitter (you probably assume I am fat, too--because skinny girls don't have opinions, right?) because it allows you to dismiss my opinion. This is how you cope with the fact that I have disdain for your shallowness and that independent women who aren't afraid to express themselves reject you. The sad fact is that being with a strong personality who chooses you independently is infinitely more validating than being with meek arm candy who will be with anyone with a bank account.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

But go ahead and consider me bitter if it makes you feel better. I am happy either way because I don't need your validation, and I think anyone who reads this can see that you are the sexist and I am a woman who isn't intimidated by your attempts to belittle me. But I can see why you would prefer Asia and wouldn't get hired in Europe.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

I have no idea why you are bitter, or was it a rhetorical question?

Just because a man has a preference for feminine women who keep themselves in shape does not make them shallow.

You seem to have a condescending view of Asian women. I understand how they threaten you.

The irony of you claiming to be belittled while attempting to belittle me!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Happy to belittle you (but is it BElittling if you are already a small man?). I know the difference between skinny and in shape, and I am not threatened by any woman because I am secure in myself (with or without a man, though I am also secure in my relationship). Only a little man thinks a woman needs a relationship for validation or is threatened by another woman, and only a VERY little man thinks a woman's raison d'être is threatened by other women based on continent of origin. Only a man who is bitter because he is alone accuses someone who calls out his sexism of being bitter. Or shrill, a harpy, screechy, or bi***y--sexist men really need to come up with some new words to describe women who don't need them. At least then you would be entertaining. So have at it.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

If ever there was an advert for Asian women over Western women, it'd be the posts of Thames Pirate in this thread.

This is the kind of attitude you have to look forward to if you work in Western Europe guys. Overweight 'independent' women who 'don't need no man'.

Putting up with this for 10, 20, 30 years is worth some small pension income and medical cover? Hell no! You'll need that medical cover for your stress related illnesses after putting up with this crap for decades.

FYI, there's plenty of women in Thailand who aren't just looking for money or residency in the West. I taught EFL there for 2 years, certainly wasn't rich, and still had a great time.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Typical sexist--assuming I am overweight, attributing poor grammar to me, and putting independent in quotes as if it were not something I claimed and am. If you can't handle women with opinions, how can you possibly teach critical thinking? How can you possibly face a reality in which women are playing an increasingly equal role? That must scare the stuffing out of you! No wonder you are hiding out in SE Asia.

I am sorry you are so intimidated by my being a woman with a voice. That must be a big blow to a fragile ego!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

And this, folks, is why we need feminism--to help men pay their medical bills because a person with something to say taxes them so much they break down.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

Don't you have a womens lib meeting to be attending?

It's extremely obvious you are overweight from your posts here. I'd bet dollars to cents it's the case. Slim women don't say things like:

"I know the difference between skinny and in shape, and I am not threatened by any woman because I am secure in myself".

"I am happily married to a guy who values me for my outspokenness and regardless of what my weight is now or in the future."

Let me guess, you think you're a much better 'catch' now than when you were in your early 20s, because you've developed so much more as a person since then?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Something smells like MRA, Thames... run!

All the men I am friends with have found nice women (some local, some Western) in a wide variety of regions - Latin American, Europe, ME, Asia... None of them make a ton of cash, being teachers. All of them respect their partners as equals.

I am also opinionated/outspoken/healthy BMI/feminine (whatever that means... sometimes I like to cook and/or wear skirts) and I have a great boyfriend.

This goes for women as well as men: if you can't find a decent partner, it would help looking at your own actions. Bemoaning women (or if you are a woman, bemoaning men - JUST AS ANNOYING) is not attracting.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Thanks TP, you have actually changed my mind. I now look forward to a harmonious relationship with an outspoken, independent woman who does not need me and does not take care of their physical appearance.

Your valuable insight in to how weak I am and how strong you are is spot on. I am am so glad you took the time to point this out, even though it would have been obvious by your strong arguments and logic.

:)
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I am a competitive athlete and not at all overweight, not that it is any of your business or that it matters. But of course you assumed I am fat because you assume that only fat girls need feminism and that skinny girls LOVE to have weasels fawning over them. You assume fat girls only want to be valued for their personalities while skinny girls don't care because of course they have their looks. You are wrong. And you equate skinny with taking care of oneself. Again, you are wrong.

And no, I am not a "catch" because I am not, nor have I ever been a fish. I am not far out of my 20s, and while I have matured since my university days as most people do, I have not changed in essentials. I don't know, nor do I care if that makes me more of a "catch" in anyone's eyes. If someone wants to think of me that way, that is fine. If they don't, that is fine, too. Not everybody has to like me (you clearly don't).

It is nice not to be needed, but wanted--just as it is nice to want to be with someone and enjoy their company, not because I need it, but because I want it. I am always trying harder to be better because he deserves it, not because he expects or requires it. I give him my best because I WANT to, not because he would love me less. He WANTS to know what I think, just as I want to know what he thinks. We make decisions together, but we also trust one another's judgment. If you don't understand that type of partnership, one that strengthens you and makes you want to be better, then you have truly missed out. No amount of sarcasm and no meek, dependent, needy arm candy can make up for that.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I wonder what these "red pill" types do if a girl in their class has the gall to be outspoken.

Scary who is teaching young people.
senator

Post by senator »

Ok, guys, breathe.

I know that a teacher at many, if not most, international schools can live pretty well on the salary, but the question here is savings/pension for when you don't want to or can't work. Is there much money left over? No offense, Thames Pirate, but 15,000 a year savings, without a good pension, will most likely not provide for much of a retirement when you have to pay for things like college for your kid(s).

From the postings I gather that I was correct in my assumption that working in Europe for any number of years would not net anyone a golden ticket retirement. I also gather that living in Europe can be pretty sweet for a certain kind of person as opposed to Asia.

And I also understand that we don't teach purely for the money. BUT, the hard cold facts are that one day the end will come and without enough $$$ all of the wonderful memories/friendships/travel explorations/experiences that enticed us to teach overseas in the first place will be cold comfort if we are eating cat food and can't afford heat - yes, I know I am exaggerating - or am I? School heads though will be well taken care of so...

So, what do career IT's do/what's their plan/ for the end of their work careers?

Or is the common belief that most teachers don't know how to manage money - as stated by one IE school head at a Search job fair - actually true?

Be thoughtful in your replies, please. Thank you.