Middle East and qualifications

mrwright

Middle East and qualifications

Post by mrwright »

I've read a lot on here about this, but still have something specific to ask. I'm currently teaching in China. I'm certified to teach social studies, gen science and bio. I'm teaching SS at the movement. My degree is in history. My wife, who isn't a teacher, and I are considering a jump next year cuz we want to save more money. We're open to many locations, but it seems the ME is a good bet. We're home bodies, so being cooped up isn't really much of a negative for us. I know I'm more marketable if I look for science jobs, but many of the job postings I see ask for a science major. I don't have that, although it is on my license. What are people's thoughts about how that might affect my job search. I've taught science in high schools in the states. Also, what are some realistic salaries and possible savings at jobs in the ME? I know that's super vague. Just some examples perhaps.

Thanks everyone
sitka

Re: Middle East and qualifications

Post by sitka »

In the UAE, to teach at a senior level you (theoretically) needed a degree in the subject you would be teaching. On the other hand, there were lots of work-arounds.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If youve got solid performance experience in science on your resume and a credential that has a lot more marketability then a noob with a degree. I do agree with @sitka, there are restrictions but enough ways around them that its not an issue if the IS doesnt want it to be an issue. An IS hires you to teach history or social studies for the paperwork and then assigns you to what they really want you to teach (science).

6 figures isnt uncommon in the ME, and tax free.
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

Do many IS in the ME teach SS? I know it's not easy getting a SS position, everyone always tells me that, but, at least in China, once I put my resume out I got many offers. But that's China. Is it really that hard elsewhere? I'm ok teaching either. I just want to be marketable.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Response

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> If youve got solid performance experience in science on your resume and a
> credential that has a lot more marketability then a noob with a degree. I
> do agree with @sitka, there are restrictions but enough ways around them
> that its not an issue if the IS doesnt want it to be an issue. An IS hires
> you to teach history or social studies for the paperwork and then assigns
> you to what they really want you to teach (science).
>
> 6 figures isnt uncommon in the ME, and tax free.
---------------------------------
Really? 6 figures in salary alone (is that at entry step with maximum credit or top of the scale)? When you say "isn't uncommon", how many schools in the region are you saying pay that much? I am not saying you are wrong (I haven't had access to a database in a few years) but I thought that ARAMCO was so very special because they offered the big bucks.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mrwright

In the ME, all the ones that are actual international ISs offer various courses in social studies. Social studies is typically part of the core academic program in IE. Its often one of the largest departments in an IS. Its also very close to a saturated field, because there are a lot of generalists. While History is the most common course offered, you have a lot of generalists that teach social science, geography (popular in BSs) economics, business courses and a lot of other humanities courses. You have a social studies composite credential and you can teach all of those courses. Change that to its counterpart Literature and the course offerings get a lot smaller youve got Language/English/Literature and a some speech and journalism.

@WT123

6 figures in total comp, cash eq. of the applicable OSH pack. Average of the market, but were still talking high 5 figure on salary alone, and 6 figure salary alone is something an IT could walk into at the right IS with the right resume. 6 figure salary for Aramco and BAE is just more common on a walk in.

How many ISs are there in the ME, what do we define as an IS? Its not uncommon enough at the ISs most western professional educators would consider a contract at.

6 figures is relative, by one definition $100K flat is 6 figures, Aramco/BAE were looking at steps and scale that a teaching couple can pull a quarter mil.
joe30

Post by joe30 »

From what I've seen $45k (plus housing, flights etc) seems about average in the Middle East when starting out. A bit less in Dubai.

Isn't $100k+ normally limited to those military contracts some EFL'ers do?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

With oil prices going south, the 100K offers from Aramco will soon be a thing of past. According to Bain and company, $200 billion worth projects have been cancelled in the middle east in the past year. They have already started laying off thousands of energy workers.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@joe30

Depends where you look in the ME, The Kingdom, UAE/Bahrain offer the biggest coin, places like Oman, Kuwait, etc.. offer less.

Those $100K EE contracts are in the Kingdom and you can get IE appointments in the same salary band as well.

@fine dude

I actually agree... for now, but its a cycle. Those contracts will re-materialize when commodity prices for oil go back up.